You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dunkirk (2017) - Nolan does it again
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Dunkirk (2017) - Nolan does it again Reply with quote

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dunkirk_2017

98% (40 Fresh / 1 Rotten) Average Score: 9

Quote:
A master filmmaker with all the state-of-the-art resources due a man who produces sci-fi and comic book blockbusters turns his attention to history with breathless, stunning results in “Dunkirk.”

https://rogersmovienation.com/2017/07/17/movie-review-nolan-immerses-us-all-in-the-harrowing-history-of-dunkirk/

Quote:
Christopher Nolan's largely bloodless but profoundly harrowing war epic is the best film he's ever made.

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/dunkirk-review-christopher-nolan-harry-styles-tom-hardy-imax-70mm-1201855825/2/

Quote:
On one hand, he has delivered all the spectacle of a big-screen tentpole, ratcheting up both the tension and heroism through his intricate and occasionally overwhelming sound design, which blends a nearly omnipresent ticking stopwatch with Hans Zimmer’s bombastic score — not so much music as atmospheric noise, so bassy you can feel it rattling your vertebrae. But at the same time, he’s found a way to harness that technique in service of a kind of heightened reality, one that feels more immersive and immediate than whatever concerns we check at the door when entering the cinema. This is what audiences want from a Nolan movie, of course, as a master of the fantastic leaves his mark on historical events for the first time.

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/dunkirk-review-christopher-nolan-1202495701/

Bow before the master

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot wait for this movie, hoping to see it this weekend.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
Sacrifice … is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice.
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So stoked to see this!!

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how people can hate his movies. 100 years from now he's probably going to be remembered as our time's Alfred Hitchcock, only better. He's wildly popular with audiences and critics alike, and yet he still hasn't won an Oscar for best directing, probably due to the Academy hating science fiction and comic book movies.

I dislike war movies, but I'll be watching two of them this year. Dunkirk and Darkest Hour.
kyle21121

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is easily the most excited I've been to see a movie in the past few years. Would love to go opening night but can't I will hopefully see it on Friday though.

Nolan is amazing. OP is correct.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
Don't know how people can hate his movies. 100 years from now he's probably going to be remembered as our time's Alfred Hitchcock, only better. He's wildly popular with audiences and critics alike, and yet he still hasn't won an Oscar for best directing, probably due to the Academy hating science fiction and comic book movies.

I dislike war movies, but I'll be watching two of them this year. Dunkirk and Darkest Hour.

Who hates his movies?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Who hates his movies?

I guess not many people, but a lot of people hate on his movies. Nitpick, try to suggest he's not THAT great. I know a lot of people complained about Inception and said junk about it even though they literally didn't understand the movie.

The man is a genius. He literally pulled Inception on his audience with the movie Inception, and the MAJORITY of people who act like they know what happened at the end of Inception don't even know what happened.

He convinced his entire audience that whether or not the top stopped spinning mattered. It didn't. He literally said in the movie that the top wasn't his totem, and yet people thought that all that mattered was whether or not the top stopped spinning. Because he incepted his audience.

He's a master not only because his movies are smart and cerebral, but because his movies are smart and cerebral without being snoozefests like Solaris or 2001: A Space Odyssey.

So people just like to nitpick on his movies. I guess I haven't seen anybody who's said they hate his movies, but they like to knock him down a peg for some reason.
BayRaider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really looking forward to this. Memento might be in my Top 5 favorite movies ever, The Prestige Top 10, and the Batman Trilogy one of the best trilogys ever made.

Thought Inception and Interstellar were extremely boring though and i'm a huge sci fi fan.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Who hates his movies?

I guess not many people, but a lot of people hate on his movies. Nitpick, try to suggest he's not THAT great. I know a lot of people complained about Inception and said junk about it even though they literally didn't understand the movie.

The man is a genius. He literally pulled Inception on his audience with the movie Inception, and the MAJORITY of people who act like they know what happened at the end of Inception don't even know what happened.

He convinced his entire audience that whether or not the top stopped spinning mattered. It didn't. He literally said in the movie that the top wasn't his totem, and yet people thought that all that mattered was whether or not the top stopped spinning. Because he incepted his audience.

He's a master not only because his movies are smart and cerebral, but because his movies are smart and cerebral without being snoozefests like Solaris or 2001: A Space Odyssey.

So people just like to nitpick on his movies. I guess I haven't seen anybody who's said they hate his movies, but they like to knock him down a peg for some reason.

There are always going to be people that hate on something that most people love thats widely considered great. Thats just the reality of the situation. Some people just have different tastes....nothing wrong with that. I just cant stand the people who do it just for the sake of being different....and some people are just blindly hating.

For the most part, Nolan is universally considered one of the best directors...probably ever, and for good reason. I cant think of any movie of his I havent enjoyed. Oddly enough....his worst movie IMO might be The Dark Knight Rises....and outside of the 3rd act, that was a really good movie as well).

All in all, yes....he is a genius. Some may not like his movies....but again, in a creative field, there are always going to be some naysayers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing it tonight, has anyone seen it yet?

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool
[sig by El ramster]
blueswedeshoes wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
I don't hunt
So I gathered.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
I'm seeing it tonight, has anyone seen it yet?
Im sure this movie will be great, visually stunning, and from what Ive heard some really good performances.

But even with all of that, I just dont feel the pull that I have to go see it right away. And I have seen his last 6 movies opening night. I was intrigued with him after seeing Memento, completely enamored with him after Insomnia, and absolutely fell in love with him after his take on Batman Begins.

But it is something about this story, or atleast the way they are pitching it to me that I just dont feel as drawn in as his previous films (which Ive really liked all of them)

Again, Im sure it will be great (many are calling it a masterpiece already) but nothing I have seen so far has made me jump out of my seat to go see it.
El ramster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it last night.. I left the movies with PTSD.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING, THE MOVIE IS OUT, SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT

Just got back from it. Overall it's a very good movie, but there are a few aspects of it that I had issue with.

Visually, it's just a masterpiece of cinematography and framing, nothing bad that can be said about it. Between playing with perspective and the angles, as beautifully shot a war movie that I have ever seen.

The acting was also top notch, which was needed as there was little to no character development. It's a movie that takes place purely within the moment.

I'm not really sure why Nolan went with the non-linear approach. My best guess is since they replayed moments multiple times from different vantage points of the characters it didn't flow quite as well when you tried to splice it in time. It made it a little confusing at times, but with the plot being as simple as it was, it wasn't too much of a detriment. It was a little weird going in between scenes where it was day, then the previous night, then day again, then the day before, etc... It definitely jumped around quite a bit and took me out of the moment a bit.

Not Zimmer's best score, but it did work well within the context of the film and heightened the tension.

The last five minutes of the movie with how it unfolded on the way home really tied all the various threads of the movie together, and I liked how he had Tommy read the Churchill speech from the paper with the heroic score behind him when we finally see what happens to Farrier. If the ending wasn't as good as it was, I likely would have dropped the movie a whole letter grade, but it does tie everything together, especially the more I think about it.

I'd give it a strong A-

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoilers for a war movie:

The Allies win? Laughing
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
Spoilers for a war movie:

The Allies win? :lol:

Honestly, I didn't expect to see Hitler storming the beach with the Green Lantern's ring. Thankfully, King George showed up in his Jaeger.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: