Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Minnesota Golden Gophers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 99, 100, 101  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
Hey guys, I heard that AJ Barker could transfer to UH. Haven't seen him play before. What type of WR is he and was he you guys best receiver? Him and Deontay Greenberry can make a nice tandem for whoever the QB is for us next season.

He's a a good receiver. He'll definitely improve your passing game. Seems to be a little bit of a prima donna and thinks he's a lot better than he really is though. He was our best receiver but at our program that's not saying a whole lot.

Yes, he was the best receiver this year, but it doesn't mean he would have been next year. There's a reason he was a walk-on and that he had only caught one pass in the previous 2 years (despite not having great receivers on the roster then either).

Barker is an okay receiver, but as Vikefan stated, he thinks he's better than he actually is.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Eastern Walrus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking like we will be going bowling in Texas
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastern Walrus wrote:
Looking like we will be going bowling in Texas

Hopefully, they'll show up against who ever they play, unlike the last 2 games.

It would be nice to be the first to play in the Heart of Dallas Bowl, but the Meineke Car Care Bowl pays more. EIther way, it'll be a Big XII team that'll be the opponent. Most indicate that it'll be Iowa State, but it could also be Baylor. I really don't hope it's ISU, considering that was the last bowl opponent 3 years ago (although they are probably more beatable).

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill talks a big game about keeping talent in state, but has done nothing to suggest he means it. I think he spends too much time on the pipelines. They have 1 current commitment from a Minnesota native and scrolling through guys with offers there is maybe half a dozen more who have offers. He has to get better at balancing out his recruiting. He has got some quality guys from down south but guys like James Onwualu and Keelon Brookins would have been huge for the program. 2014, on paper has some of the most talent Minnesota has seen in awhile. Kill has to land a majority of those guys to help elevate this program.

Todd Gurley to Minnesota!
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortell to transfer

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/182118111.html

Quote:
The showdown was supposed to come next summer, when a Gophers team without MarQueis Gray would throw his position open and allow Max Shortell, Philip Nelson and Mitch Leidner to battle it out to be the Gophers' starting quarterback.

Maybe a free-for-all still will happen. But it will take place without Shortell.

The sophomore from suburban Kansas City will take his final exams later this month and leave Minnesota in hopes of catching on with a program that figures to give him more playing time.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
Kill talks a big game about keeping talent in state, but has done nothing to suggest he means it. I think he spends too much time on the pipelines. They have 1 current commitment from a Minnesota native and scrolling through guys with offers there is maybe half a dozen more who have offers. He has to get better at balancing out his recruiting. He has got some quality guys from down south but guys like James Onwualu and Keelon Brookins would have been huge for the program. 2014, on paper has some of the most talent Minnesota has seen in awhile. Kill has to land a majority of those guys to help elevate this program.

Until the team starts winning significantly, it will be difficult to keep many of the in-state players. If Phil Nelson has success next year, then they will start consider staying put.

Also a factor is that the team is so young, which means they do not have a lot of schollies available, so they have to be picky. It could be that the in-state players don't play a position that they need right now. Brookins had actually committed to Minnesota at one point, but then changed to Wisconsin. Apparently, he had already signed a Early Entry LOI, but with the coaching staff change, it's not known whether he'd have interest in rescinding it or if he'd even be allowed to do so.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Lil Uno wrote:

Until the team starts winning significantly, it will be difficult to keep many of the in-state players. If Phil Nelson has success next year, then they will start consider staying put.

Also a factor is that the team is so young, which means they do not have a lot of schollies available, so they have to be picky. It could be that the in-state players don't play a position that they need right now. Brookins had actually committed to Minnesota at one point, but then changed to Wisconsin. Apparently, he had already signed a Early Entry LOI, but with the coaching staff change, it's not known whether he'd have interest in rescinding it or if he'd even be allowed to do so.

While I agree with your premise, it's still frustrating to see. I intern in the NDSU recruiting department, so I've been in contact with a lot of guys from Minnesota. Our football team has dominated the FCS for two years now and a lot of our success come from Minnesota recruits. Guys like Zack Vraa, Billy Turner, John Crockett and Marcus Williams (who could be a day 2 pick next year) are cornerstones for this team. None of them got offers from the Gophers. Granted only Vraa came during the Kill era, there is talent in Minnesota. Kill and company just have to go out and find them.

On a sidenote, how did Minnesota gain serious interest from Marquez White. He is a 4 star CB from Alabama, who decommited from Florida State. Shocked

Vikefan79

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#FSU commit Marquez White on official to #Minnesota RT @_Success_1 last night was epic in the twin cities!

Laughing
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
Our football team has dominated the FCS for two years now and a lot of our success come from Minnesota recruits. Guys like Zack Vraa, Billy Turner, John Crockett and Marcus Williams (who could be a day 2 pick next year) are cornerstones for this team. None of them got offers from the Gophers. Granted only Vraa came during the Kill era, there is talent in Minnesota. Kill and company just have to go out and find them.

Unfortunately, guys are going to get missed. But, Basement Brew's problem with recruiting in-state was that the HS coaches either didn't like him personally or knew he was a terrible coach. I read many places that he never developed good relationships with Minnesota HS coaches (which was also partially the problem with Mason as well) and that leads many in-state players to go elsewhere. From what I've read, Kill has seemed to do a much better job in that regard than either of his predecessors. But, he still needs to get the players from the SE and Texas, because there's significantly more talent there.

BTW, I heard wonderful things about Crockett. What are his future prospects? I see he's only a sophomore, but it'll be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of years.

I also saw the Dinwiddie kids in high school a few years ago (my wife is from their hometown). Deveon plays RB (he was a speed demon in HS) and Deshawn plays LB for the Bison. Do you know anything about them?

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Lil Uno wrote:
Our football team has dominated the FCS for two years now and a lot of our success come from Minnesota recruits. Guys like Zack Vraa, Billy Turner, John Crockett and Marcus Williams (who could be a day 2 pick next year) are cornerstones for this team. None of them got offers from the Gophers. Granted only Vraa came during the Kill era, there is talent in Minnesota. Kill and company just have to go out and find them.

Unfortunately, guys are going to get missed. But, Basement Brew's problem with recruiting in-state was that the HS coaches either didn't like him personally or knew he was a terrible coach. I read many places that he never developed good relationships with Minnesota HS coaches (which was also partially the problem with Mason as well) and that leads many in-state players to go elsewhere. From what I've read, Kill has seemed to do a much better job in that regard than either of his predecessors. But, he still needs to get the players from the SE and Texas, because there's significantly more talent there.

BTW, I heard wonderful things about Crockett. What are his future prospects? I see he's only a sophomore, but it'll be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of years.

I also saw the Dinwiddie kids in high school a few years ago (my wife is from their hometown). Deveon plays RB (he was a speed demon in HS) and Deshawn plays LB for the Bison. Do you know anything about them?

Crockett definitely has the talent to make it to the NFL but I don't think he has the mindset. He was academically ineligible for 2 years before he finally had a chance to play. Knowing him personally, he still isn't dedicated to the classroom but he is working harder. Next year will be big for him as he will be the workhorse and if he keeps his head on straight I could see him in the 4th-6th round range.

Both of the Dinwiddie's quit the team last week. Deveon is trying to move back to another FCS school but hasn't had many suitors. Deshawn will go to Hutchinson C.C., one of the best in the country. He does have small interest from the University of Kansas though, so he could go that route. Deveon won't be missed, but Deshawn has talent and could have been a starter next year if he was willing to work.

Lil Uno

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
#FSU commit Marquez White on official to #Minnesota RT @_Success_1 last night was epic in the twin cities!

Laughing

Still don't know how we got him here but that would be a huge land for Kill. We are stacked at DB. Not sure if any of them are as talented as White though. Although, I really like Vereen and Derrick Wells.

Some more information I've gathered:

Also, my insiders tell me Gophers have a good chance at flipping 3 star Cooper DB Malik Rucker from the Hawkeyes. He will be taking an official visit soon and has been to several unofficial visits over the last few weeks.

Keelon Brookins tore his other ACL and is working on rescinding his early LOI and flipping back to the Gophers. I hear it is a small chance of actually occurring.

Gophers are close to landing Alabama RB Jordan Huff. Tore his ACL last year but if he were healthy would have been a fringe 4 star prospect. Would be a big get for them.

Lastly, after some insider investigating it appears that Kill is looking to get a head start on the 2014 instate prospects. I've been told as many as 12 guys have offers already including top MN prospect, Washburn RB Jeff Jones who has offers from every Big Ten school. Also impressive DeLaSalle QB Reid Travis who goes 6'6, 235. Travis is also a Top 100 basketball recruit so it is unsure which sport he will go.

Vikefan79

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are our linebackers looking next year?
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
How are our linebackers looking next year?

Not good, at least not yet.

The only returning player with experience is Beal and he may not be ready to go. Then you have Aaron Hill who was a walk on to go with 2 players new to the position in James Manuel and Lamonte Edwards. So essentially every spot is open and there isn't much to plug them with.

The Gophers did just land a commit from JUCO player Damien Wilson. From everything I've seen and read he could be a real player. Will likely play ILB for the team.
They also landed another commit in De'Niro Laster. don't know too much about him but has solid size and speed for a freshman.
Things could get interesting as the Gophers are getting serious attention from 4 star LB Duke Riley, that was until he revealed that he has received an offer from LSU earlier today. Not sure how that effects his decision but it can't be good. A commit from Riley would put the team in a great position for the future.

Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gophers are likely to lose both of their 4 star prospects to the SEC.

4* WR Nate Andrews was offered a full ride from Alabama a few days ago

4* LB Duke Riley wasn't a committed to the U but he was close until Tennessee offered him last week.

Would really kill what looked like a solid recruiting class if they lost both.

disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing out to Alabama isn't something to be ashamed of...I'd argue that losing out to Tennessee would be, considering I (personally) don't think they're that good of a program any longer.

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 78 of 101

Jump to: