Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Minnesota Golden Gophers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 99, 100, 101  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gophers quarterback recruit Chris Streveler has drawn comparisons to Jordan Lynch, who was recruited to Northern Illinois by Jerry Kill and recently led the Huskies to the Orange Bowl.

"I watched the Orange Bowl, and I think Chris is a lot more accurate passing-wise," Brucker said. "Lynch actually looked a little slow to me, too. I think Chris is a little faster. I'm hoping he's more like Johnny Football."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/187819501.html

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gophers lost ***Nate Andrews to Florida State today. It was a big loss for the team as Andrews was clearly their best recruit. Unless one of the other 2 star guys or a RS freshman steps up, we will likely see Derrick Wells or Brock Vereen move to corner. I'm hoping they go with Vereen as Wells looks like an all-conference safety.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing Nate Andrews (albeit he's more of a DB than a WR), the Gophers got a 3-star WR commit from California named Drew Wolitarsky. Going into the 2012 season, he was already #3 all-time in the state of California in receiving yards, so he sounds like a good pick-up (as long as he stays).

He had offers from Arizona, Army, Hawaii, Navy, Nevada, San Diego St and San Jose State, but chose the Gophers. He's currently the highest ranked WR the Gophers have got a commit from (#97), after getting turned down by Rob Wheelwright (#28 ), Dylan Cantrell (36), James Onwualu (39), Keeon Johnson (83) and Devin Ross (90).

So, as an update, here are the following players who have verbally committed at this point (In-State players in italics):

#80 QB Chris Streveler (Woodstock, IL)
#71 RB Berkley Edwards (Chelsea, MI)
#97 WR Drew Wolitarsky (Canyon Country, CA)
#146 WR De'Niro Laster (University Heights, OH)
#246 WR Eric Carter (Lakeland, FL)
#54 OT Alex Mayes (Van Alstyne, TX)
#93 DE Owen Salzwedel (Beaver Dam, WI)
#123 DE Hendrick Ekpe (Lewisville, TX)
#118 DT Demaris Peppers (Memphis, TN)
JC DT Jordan Hinojosa (Coffeyville, KS)
#97 OLB Chris Wipson (Plymouth, MN)
JC MLB Damien Wilson (Ellisville, MS)
NR CB Jalen Myrick (Savannah, GA)
#176 S Rayfield Dixon (Loxahatchee, FL)
NR K Ryan Santoso (Pace, FL)

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=9&c=8&yr=2013

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

De'Niro Laster is being looked at as a LB.

On paper the class isn't very encouraging. However, I like Kill as a coach and trust him to develop these guys. I have high hopes for Wolitarsky, Berk Edwards, and Damien Wilson. Should all have an impact next season. The Gophers actually have got several talented walk-ons as well. Guys who turned down other BCS offers to go to Minnesota. It is definitely a sign of things going forward. Even though we have a tough schedule this year, I'm very excited for this season and getting the 2014 recruiting class going. Lot of good prospects in Minnesota next year.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Quote:
Gophers quarterback recruit Chris Streveler has drawn comparisons to Jordan Lynch, who was recruited to Northern Illinois by Jerry Kill and recently led the Huskies to the Orange Bowl.

"I watched the Orange Bowl, and I think Chris is a lot more accurate passing-wise," Brucker said. "Lynch actually looked a little slow to me, too. I think Chris is a little faster. I'm hoping he's more like Johnny Football."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/187819501.html

Looks like a nice grab.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks they still have room for 3 more schollies, if all 15 sign as expected. From what I understand, they had 18 open schollies, so they can either fill them with some unexpecteds, or give them to some of the walk-ons.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The University of Miami (Fla.) has been recruiting Center Grove High School tight end Nate Wozniak since last spring so Center Grove football coach Eric Moore was surprised when the 6-9, 250-pound Wozniak committed to Minnesota on Thursday.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130131/SPORTS02/301310359/Center-Grove-tight-end-Nate-Wozniak-commits-Minnesota

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Quote:
The University of Miami (Fla.) has been recruiting Center Grove High School tight end Nate Wozniak since last spring so Center Grove football coach Eric Moore was surprised when the 6-9, 250-pound Wozniak committed to Minnesota on Thursday.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130131/SPORTS02/301310359/Center-Grove-tight-end-Nate-Wozniak-commits-Minnesota

Awesome!! The athletic program at Minnesota as a whole has gotten better since Matturi left.
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that they are even in play with guys that end up committing to Florida State, Miami (if they keep Wozniak), or LSU should tell a whole lot about where the program is going.

I think some of the rubes that post on Star Tribune calling for Kill to go elsewhere need to pay attention. He seems to be a pretty good recruiter. While they aren't top of the line guys now, if he and his staff can coach them up, they might win some of those recruiting battles later...and maybe, just maybe, might be able to actually win some games in the B1G.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
The fact that they are even in play with guys that end up committing to Florida State, Miami (if they keep Wozniak), or LSU should tell a whole lot about where the program is going.

I think some of the rubes that post on Star Tribune calling for Kill to go elsewhere need to pay attention. He seems to be a pretty good recruiter. While they aren't top of the line guys now, if he and his staff can coach them up, they might win some of those recruiting battles later...and maybe, just maybe, might be able to actually win some games in the B1G.

Agreed. I've read that several of our commits head coaches have called Kill a great recruiter. Wozniak is a great example. He wants to remain at TE but all of his other offers wanted him at OT. Kill told him they will try him out at TE first and go from there. Then he committed. Overall, the class is uninspiring on paper but I trust that Kill knows what he is doing and look forward to seeing how this class finishes.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's part of the reason the Gophers might land him...

Quote:
The Gophers, along with Miami (Fla.) and Purdue, recruited him hard as a tight end. He favored the Hurricanes, but they ended up landing two tight ends.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_22494413/gophers-football-6-10-tight-end-nate-wozniak?source=rss

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gophers land 2014 4* HB and number 1 MN prospect Jeff Jones.

Quote:
@RyanBurnsGI
I have learned that Minneapolis (Minn.) 2014 4-star running back Jeff Jones has committed to #Minnesota. Huge pickup to start the 2014 class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIVLuX_Qehs

Tremendous start to what looks like a great group of 2014 Minnesota prospects. Let's hope he sticks though. Has offers from every other B1G school and a few of the helmet schools.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gophers have another verbal from 2-star S Daletavius McGhee from Ellenwood, GA. We'll see how long he lasts, considering he has already committed and de-committed from both Memphis and Louisiana Tech.

Here are his highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1107346/#highlights/32868382

As far as Jones, if he sticks that will be awesome. The Gophers need more guys like Phil Nelson and Jones who will stick at home to improve the program.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
The Gophers have another verbal from 2-star S Daletavius McGhee from Ellenwood, GA. We'll see how long he lasts, considering he has already committed and de-committed from both Memphis and Louisiana Tech.

Here are his highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1107346/#highlights/32868382

As far as Jones, if he sticks that will be awesome. The Gophers need more guys like Phil Nelson and Jones who will stick at home to improve the program.

McGhee looks like an underrated 2* guy. Looks really physical, will be interesting to see if they leave him at CB or move him to Safety.

The Gophers also have intrest from a strange recruit in Keshawn Henderson.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Keshawn-Henderson-128094

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1070567/highlights/35269436

He has an impressive offer list but no stars on any of the recruiting sites. Rumor is he had trouble reporting his test scores but got it fixed last week and the Gophers jumped on. His highlight video is impressive and he has great size at 6'4, 200. Could be a huge sleeper.

Also, it's being reported that FSU is trying to flip another one of our recruits. No word yet on who it is but early guesses are Eric Carter or DeNiro Laster. With FSU flipping 5* CB Jalen Ramsey from USC, there is a chance we could get Nate Andrews back.

Overall, the class is going to be ranked last in the B1G but I'm really excited. Again, Kill is doing a great job of "making" D1 prospects. Finding lots of gems, getting them in the weight room and coaching them up. Props to Jerry Kill.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill needs to put a stop to this.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/189938451.html

Quote:
Fifteen Minnesotans are expected to sign national letters of intent at the four Dakota colleges, with as many as a dozen more still deciding as Wednesday's signing day approached. All four schools are NCAA Division I programs at the FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) level, formerly known as Division I-AA.

Traditionally viewed as a fallback for those who weren't recruited at college football's highest level, the Dakota schools these days are seen by many Minnesota players as more than a consolation prize. Last year 78 Minnesotans suited up across the four schools, which offer a decidedly smaller-town pull on the athletes.

"Everyone [in Brookings] goes to the games and knows all the players," Wieneke said. "I took a visit and it was amazing. I knew that's where I wanted to go."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/wisconsin/football/recruiting/player-Keelon-Brookins-101076

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 80 of 101

Jump to: