Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowart's effect on the draft....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Gnat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Cowart's effect on the draft.... Reply with quote

Now that we have gotten Cowart do we need to draft, or even think about Derrick Johnson. Wouldn't it make more sense now to either take on WR, Braylon or Williams, or Shawne Merriman, since he is a DE also. And then try and draft Thomas Davis with the 18th over all pick. Because one young LB won't really hurt us much at all especially since EJ and Dontarious have a ton of upsided.
missingmoss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this has any impact. They need to pick the best player. This fills another hole and allows them to pick the top player whether it's Merriman, Johnson, or a WR.
BigRich3113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I think we might actually trade down the 7th pick now if we can't get Williams or Edwards...... or possibly trade up to get them.......who knows our team is looking pretty diesel. I still think we should draft Thomas Davis as a hard hitting saftey. Myabe we go line now for depth since DD has only a couple more years left...... i don't even know anymore
mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowart's effect is that they will not take D.Johnson even if he falls. The LB Corp is going to look like this OLB Harris MLB Henderson OLB Cowart. They may take Merriman at DE but they will definately take a WR with #7 if Edwards or Williams is Available at #7 if not they will take Merriman at #7 then the next best WR at #18. Im excited.
chivato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....they already said he is going to start at middle linebacker, and that Ej is going to back up and be on special teams.......Draft Mike Williams, or Edwards, or draft DJ and go to a 3-4 ....then take davis or a DE with 18 and Nuge with our 2nd Rd, and Matt Jones with our 3rd.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr knowitall has pretty good instincts, i think:

They may take Merriman at DE but they will definately take a WR with #7 if Edwards or Williams is Available at #7. If not they will take Merriman at #7 then the next best WR at #18. Im excited.

sounds very plausible.

but from what i read about cowart, he is an exceptional team leader and motivator. hmmm, so maybe the front office has someone in mind for him to mentor....
tdub

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like that last one sorta....either williams or merriman with the 7th...take the opposite side of the ball with the other pick...(if williams, take D) then take nuge 2nd m jones 3rd...then a RB and some o line help to round out the draft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we just need to take the best player .
and if the best player available at the time isn't what we could use trade down and collect more picks to go for depth
Ares Caesar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think trading for Cowart will change much of anything in terms of the "expected Vikings draft"

I'd say the Vikings draft board has looked this way for some time,

1) Mike Williams
2) Braylon Edwards
3) Derrick Johnson
4) Shawne Merriman

But you ask...

Why did they sign Travis Taylor if they'll draft a WR? -- because they have no idea if either WR will be there at #7, and Travis Taylor while isnt #1 reciever, is a gamble that could easily payoff greatly (cheap price, and decent reciever who just hasnt been in a great system in Baltimore) Its insurance.

Why did they sign Cowart if they'll draft DJ? -- because AGAIN its insurance, people have been predicting DJ to be a top 5 draft pick for a while, and its just too risky to assume he'll be there... besides Cowart is only replacing EJ henderson, DJ would be replacing EJ, or Thomas... and while Thomas and EJ are young and "decent" DJ is not just "decent" DJ is physically gifted at his position almost like Randy Moss is at WR. With all these defensive signings dont you get the feeling that the Vikings are looking to improve EVERYWHERE??? I mean they're not looking to just be a "good defense" they appear to want to be a "GREAT defense"... and Thomas and EJ are still weaker links, and DJ would be an automatic upgrade at the OLB position.

All in all, Williams or Edwards are still the most likely #7 picks, but dont think DJ is out of the picture.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hail caesar!

we've been yacking for awhile that the vikes might prefer merriman over dj if they had the choice of either.
Ares Caesar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
hail caesar!

we've been yacking for awhile that the vikes might prefer merriman over dj if they had the choice of either.

Merriman plays DE... he's still behind DJ in terms of "who is better" (and I mean this in your "vikings might prefer merriman")

Think of this

1) they MADE Mixon rework his monster contract and basically gave him a slap in the face deal for about 1/5th his previous contract --bad business to cut him now--

2) Johnstone isnt great, but the guy had 11 sacks... how can you argue with those #s??? the guy is a super pash rusher.

3) they've been saying they want to play Scott as the starter at DE (3rd rounder from last year) if they want to start that guy over those other 2 guys, doesnt that tell you they think they have something fairly good/special in that guy?

I'm not rulling out Merriman, but I think he easily falls below DJ in terms of value... Merriman is more of a 3-4 DE/LB hybrib... he's obviously a great 3rd down pash rusher no matter what, but the Vikings already have that.

I just dont see how Merriman improves anything more than DJ does, seeing as Merriman is too much of an "inbetween" DE/LB, and isnt necessarily better at either position than the guys we have in both departments already.... where as DJ is EASILY better than EJ or Thomas, ergo it makes more sense to take the OBVIOUS improvement over the "possible' improvement.

Just my opinion anyway.
common cents

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merriman isn't so much of a hybrid he just has the size and talent to be a stud at either position. so me myself am refusing to look at him as a tweener.

draft him as a olb in the base and a de in nickel and i garuntee he wont disappoint...
Serick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Merriman's size scare you guys off as a weakside linebacker? The Vikes' problem at LB seems to be that they're all behemoths. Sure, they're all fast for their size, but they lack the quickness and lateral speed that smaller OLBs possess.

I realize that Merriman is an uber athlete, but at 250 - 270 lbs, I just don't see him having the lateral quickness to disrupt the short passing game - a la the current crop of Vikes' lbs.

Can anyone explain the flaw in my reasoning?
common cents

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

size scare me...no it truly intrigues me...he'd be the biggest lb in the game.

yep he's fast as hell for his size 4.6, and you would think because of his size he'd lack lateral quickness but, that where merriman is different he has unbelievable lateral quickness and thats why hes going to be picked 7 overall. seriously he ran a 4.2 short shuttle which is faster than most safety prospect coupled with the fact that scouts said he just looked fast in his cuts not just on the watch...he wasn't a robot just seemed fluid through the hips.
Helter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's like a culpepper of Qb's
big quick agile and gets the job done the more I look at this guy the more I like him and while breaking him in at the pro level and the occational 3-4 defence to muck with the offenses ... this could be like the new version of LB's (like the new version of safeties-shaun tatlor-redskins)
it would put the fear in TE wanting to work the middle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: