Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

veteran leadership

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: veteran leadership Reply with quote

you draft youngsters for your future, but you obtain veterans for leadership and the training of the college kids.

i love that the vikings are emphasizing that this year, it will make a big difference on the field:

Cowart was shifted to the middle last season, and he made 13 tackles and forced a fumble in the season opener. But he suffered a sprained knee in the second game, was sidelined for six games and gave way to rookie Jonathan Vilma, who played brilliantly and was the NFL defensive rookie of the year.

"It wasn't that I couldn't get my spot back," said Cowart, who passed the Vikings' physical Thursday. "I think they went with the youth movement, which is definitely understandable."

Despite some rough times, Cowart is not mad at the Jets.

"I'm definitely happy, not to say I was bitter or upset with the Jets," he said. "It wasn't like that at all. They knew I didn't want to settle for less."

With the signing of Cowart, the Vikings quickly are becoming the Midwest version of the old Bills defense. Coordinator Ted Cottrell, cornerback Antoine Winfield, defensive tackle Pat Williams and Cowart worked together when the Bills' defense was consistently ranked among the NFL's best.

Cowart, who also played under Cottrell while with the Jets, is looking forward to the reunion. And he is elated at the opportunity to play again with Williams.

"He's one of the best," Cowart said of Williams. "Every defense he's been a part of has been solid. Not only is a great run stopper, he's got the quickness and hand speed to be an effective pass rusher also."

Tice is confident Cowart can improve the defense.

"I talked to him about certain situations, and he gave me wonderful veteran answers," Tice said. "He's a guy who will be vocal for us in the huddle. As I've said throughout the offseason, I think we lack veteran leadership. With Darren Sharper and Pat Williams, Fred Smoot and Sam, we've added some players who bring veteran awareness and leadership to our huddle.
marshall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow your a Great writer that was Fantastic it was like reading a newspaper colum Smile I really liked your style Laughing very polished, your right Cowart can be great, give E.J some time. I was estatic when we drafted E.J. Razz i watched that bowl game with Maryland & Henderson and i thought he was going to be RAY Lewis!! He had a sack, an inteception, a forced fumble and i think he recovered it, and he had double digit tackles. He was one of those guys who was always around the ball, he needs time. I think the breakout players this year will Be our DE's from last year, i would not draft one very high anyway. Udeze will be GREAT after shoulder surgury, and didn't any one else notice #98 at the end of the year and in the playoffs Twisted Evil Darien Scott will be super strong against the run, and he got enough hustle to get after the passer. With good Lbs now one will be able to run on us. Twisted Evil
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure that wasn't a newspaper article? wow well written.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

errr... It's not a newspaper article?
Vikings fan.
Helter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are definetly looking like a team that can get the job done
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course it's a newspaper article, guys, i didn't write it.

it's not like i can call up tice and get quotes from him, you know.
Helter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure you can , just offer him some 2005 SB tickets
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha!

and a pencil sharpener.
Helter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: