Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If the draft goes like this who do you take...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titans2004

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: If the draft goes like this who do you take... Reply with quote

If the draft goes like this who do you take at #7

Alex Smith
Ronnie Brown
Derrick Johnson
Cedric Benson
Mike Williams
Braylon Edwards

who do you take???

I can't see you going CB given that you have Smoot and Winfield
I can't see you taking Cadillac Williams unless you trade a RB
I can't see you taking Barron because you got great value in Dorsey and already have your franchise LT

I can't see you reaching for a DE because you got Udeze last yr
I can't see you taking Rodgers because you have Culpepper
I think it would be a reach to take Merriman and you already added 2 LBs already and Henderson and Thomas are young

So the way I see it you would want to trade down, but I don't think their would be anybody left on the board that a team would want to trade up for...

I just think that you guys will trade up to make sure you get your guy be it one of the WRs or DJ otherwise you might get stuck with no options at #7.....

what do you all think...and with this scenario who do you take???
Helter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if not merriman then antrel rolle and move him to safety
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your scenario, we'll take Merriman if we don't trade down. Why? Because he can play OLB and DE, plus he went to Tice's Alma Mater (Maryland not that it should matter, but hey, it is Tice after all). I personally love the pick and would make it even if Braylon is still on the board. I just have a really bad feeling about him. Not sure why, he was great this past season, but I'm not sold yet, maybe it's the whole Desmond Howard, David Terrell, Michigan WR thing. If DJ is still on the board, I'd take him over Merriman just because he has been dominant ever since he started his true freshman season. I also wouldn't mind picking up Antrell Rolle. I know that our secondary is very much improved right now, but I'd like to see him at safety. I love Chavous and Sharper back there, but they aren't spring chickens any longer (jeez has anyone used that phrase in the history of these forums?). I do NOT like the idea of taking a RB at #7. If one of the big 3 were available at 18 (which they won't be) i'd be receptive. I just think that if given the chance to carry the load, Onterrio Smith will prove to be an Elite back, and his price tag is and will be much lower than one of the other 3. The Vikings must keep an eye on that aspect as well. I want this team to be contending for a decade, not just for the 3 years that most salary cap splurges enjoy. I'm not sure that anyone we draft will come in and start from day 1, with the exception of DJ and maybe Merriman, so drafting depth isn't that bad of an idea. Mike Williams could start as well, but he'll be long gone by #7, Braylon too. Anyways, right now it's nearly impossible to figure out what the Vikes will do, I just hope RB, QB, and Punter are all out of the question for the #7 pick (c'mon, can't you see Red taking a punter at #7 just to crush us before he leaves?)
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Trade down Reply with quote

Rolle's versatility and ability would be a great asset not only in the nickel and dime, but remember when Winfield got hurt at the end of last season and how dimished our secondary was. Even with the additions, I don't want to see that vulnerability again. Rolle would be a great addition as insurance and as a playmaker.

I like Merriman alot, but I'm not sure he fits with us.

Trade down and a few and get Davis or Williamson or both plus a third round pick if possible.
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, there are a few teams that might want to pick up a RB...
marshall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.b will take Cadillac williams Shocked We need to trade down and take merriman in the early teens, and get a 2nd round pick.
common cents

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no trade down neccesary...that would be a perfect scenario in my opinion...

i would be all over merriman...
ezra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definetally Merriman
Titans2004

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this draft scenario who do you think will trade up to #7 with you guys...Arizona will just wait because they know that they will get either Cadillac Williams, Aaron Rodgers, or a QB all of which they need...the Skins can wait and take CB or best DE...Detroit can wait and get CB or Barron, SD wouldn't reach for Barron or any other defensive player...I just don't see the player that would draw any trade interest...
BigRich3113

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we could do a bunch of different things here.......... What I think we should do is trade away the pikc and try to get later picks AND a first rounder next year. I would gladly take Merriman though, because he is a terrific athelete and can play OLB or DE. If we do none of the above that try to trade down and draft Williamson or Thomas Davis, and try to get the other one with the 18th pick.
Helter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BigRich3113"] What I think we should do is trade away the pikc and try to get later picks AND a first rounder next year. quote]

excellent idea there next year will have some outstanding rookies available
Titans2004

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you still didn't name a player or team that would want to trade with you under this draft scenario...
Ares Caesar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lets see who's left out of those picks that some teams would trade up to make sure they get

Aaron Rodgers- you think the Browns wouldnt trade over a 1st rounder next year, 2nd rounder this year (and perhaps even another pick this year or next) to get this guy AND Derrick Johnson? Come on, they'd make the trade... plenty of other teams NEED a QB shortly, or already do, and moving up to #7 is worth it for a good # of teams.

Antrel Rolle- this guy SHOULD be who you have the Titans taking, because they already have 2 decent WRs, and have NO money to pay a WR #7 money, and with Rolle leaving and Dyson probably gone, they'll need someone who can start. Even so, there is still a good chance Arizona or Washington takes him

Adam Jones- about the same deal as Rolle... all depends on how you feel, but he's a surefire top 15 pick, and if a team really wants him, waiting past #7 is getting risky.

Carnell Williams- Another top RB... could very well go to Arizona, you want him? gotta move up

Alex Barron- most people believe this guy will be one of the top 16 LTs in the game (not as good as Ogden, Pace, or Jones, but easily starting quality) and considering a "franchise LT" is not easy to get since they dont get out on the open market often, its a BIT of a reach to move up to take him, but hey, for the right deal a team might.

Shawne Merriman- this guy with his 40 times has HUGELY moved up the boards... his athleticism is making a lot of people interested... he's big enough to play DE, yet fast enough to play OLB... a lot like a "Terrel Suggs" type of player, taking him at #7 ISNT a reach anymore with how much people are starting to like this guy.

All in all the #7 pick in your situation may not be favorable to the Vikings, BUT it sure as hell could be to a lot of other teams, as this list of players are all pretty solid #7 choices.

Personally, if they can trade down ~5 spots, I'd like to see Troy Williamson taken, if they cant trade down, just take Merriman... while he's not my first choice, or even second or third in this draft, I think he's a stud defensive player, and can make a solid impact with his great physical attributes
mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see them taking C.Williams and then trading or releasing a RB. But I think Merriman would be a great pick for DE across from Udezi cause he is 275lbs with 4.6 speed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: