Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2007 1st Rd Mock with Explanations....TEAR IT UP!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> 2015 NFL Mock Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcnett26

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: 2007 1st Rd Mock with Explanations....TEAR IT UP!!! Reply with quote

Here it is, no trades but I hint at some possible trades. Let me know if I missed anyone or if anything is absolutely awful...otherwise I think it is a pretty solid draft with good explanations.

1) Miami: Brady Quinn, QB, ND…though the Phins traded a 2nd rounder to the Vikes for Culpepper that is just not working out as well as thought. If they are convinced that his knee will continue to recover and that he’ll be totally back next year they may try taking Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas (if they trade down with a team like Oakland).

2) Detroit: Calvin Johnson, WR, GT…I know that I’ll get killed for this because it is very unlikely that the Lions will take another WR but M. Williams sucks, they don’t have C. Rogers and their 2nd receiver is Mike Furrey….he’d be better served as a slot receiver and CJ would look PRETTY NICE next to R. Williams…keep in mind M. Martz is O-Coordinator. If Quinn were gone you’d more than likely see a trade here with a team like Tennessee who would love CJ for VY to throw to.

3) Arizona: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin…They need some help on their O-Line to protect Leinart and open some holes for EDGE. Thomas is a dominating run blocker and is the top LT in the draft. The only downside is that Leonard Davis is entrenched at LT right now, but there is an underlying rumbling about him and I think he is a free agent..??

4) Oakland: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson…I know Al Davis loves taking big time players on the offense and a trade up to get Quinn @ number 1 or if Quinn drops is a distinct possibility. Oakland could use a little bit more of a pass rush, despite doing great against the pass, and as I am not sold on the combo of Tyler Brayton and Derrick Burgess as consistent threats or run stoppers.

5) Tennessee: Dewayne Jarrett, WR, USC…He may not come out this year but if he does he’d be a great target to put up there for VY. If Calvin Johnson drops for any reason look for the Titans to SNAG him immediately. A DE and OT are options here if anyone falls to them.

6) Cleveland: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma…Ok Ok they’ve got Droughns but I don’t know how they can say that they’d rather have Droughns than Peterson. Peterson is a game breaker, will take over games and if he stays healthy will be a great back for the next 7-10 years and come on it is RUEBEN DROUGHNS. If Laron Landry has a great end of the season and some top notch workouts he’ll be a consideration here. I just think it would be hard for them to pass up A. P.

7) Washington: Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia… The defense could use a little help here in a couple of places. DT, DE and CB could all be options here. If Jared Gaither comes out he could be an option here for the O-Line which is aging. If they look at CB’s it really comes down to who they feel best fits their scheme, which might be Leon Hall.

Cool Buffalo: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State…The Bills could use a little bit of help on the O-Line and this guy has plenty of experience to come in and not be completely overwhelmed. He’s played in the BIG 10 against quite a few NFL level players. He’s a solid run blocker, which McGahee will like, could move to the Right side if he can’t handle protecting Losman’s backside. This might be a bit of a reach here but I think it is one of their pressing needs and I don’t think they’re ready to give up on Losman, but they showed last year that they’re not afraid to reach.

9) Green Bay: Marshawn Lynch, RB, California… The Packers need to get a game breaking running back to finish Favre’s career and be there through the beginning of Aaron Rodgers career. Lynch can catch, break long runs and has vision which would be of benefit with the scheme they have in Green Bay. I don’t think the Packers trade up, watch for them to trade down if they think they can get Lynch lower or if they want Laron Landry in picks 11-15.

10) Pittsburgh: Paul Posluszny, OLB, Penn State…The Steelers have an aging LB crew and realized that they don’t have too much depth behind the starters. PP would be a very active and aggressive LB for this team. This might be a little high for him, and the Steelers may look at trading down and picking him up or a MLB like Patrick Willis or HB Buster.

11) Houston: Justin Blalock, OG/OT, Texas…Might be a bit of a reach here but with the top OT’s off of the board and O-Line a big need they take a player who is versatile yet very solid. If Jared Gaither comes out he’ll probably be taken @ # 8 and Levi Brown would be the pick here. The tackles for the Texans leave something to the imagination. Watch out for Michael Bush comes out (and is healthy) and Dominick Davis doesn’t recover fully.

12) Tampa Bay: Laron Landry, S, LSU…If Posluszny drops to Tampa they’ll take him without thinking. They need a replacement playmaker for Derrick Brooks, and Ryan Nece isn’t better than Posluszny. This defense is getting older and needs to invigorate some young athleticism all over the place. Landry has played both Safety positions so he’d have some versatility there and he’s a better option than Jermaine Phillips.

13) San Francisco: Ted Ginn Jr, WR, Ohio State…San Francisco got their QB 2 years ago, their TE last year and finish out their offensive makeover with a big play WR. He can break open games in multiple ways because of his Punt and Kick return skills. This team could use some help on both the O and D line. This team wants to make sure that if Alex Smith fails it isn’t because they didn’t surround him with talent.

14) Dallas: Michael Griffin, S, Texas…The Cowboys could use some help on the O-Line but unless one of the top players drops to them here they will wait to address that need. Both of their WR’s are getting up there, if they even can contain T.O. Teddy Ginn may be selected here if he makes down this far. If Brian Brohm comes out they may take him and give Romo someone to compete for the job with. Griffin gives them the capability to let R. Williams roam and play closer to the line of scrimmage. Griffin is a SS right now but he has the range to play all over the field.

15) Jacksonville: Patrick Willis, ILB, Ole Miss…Jacksonville has a solid defense already but they can always use another playmaker. A RB here is a possibility if Michael Bush is around or if Kenny Irons climbs this high. A WR is also a position they may look at. On the D-Line they could use a little bit of help at the End position.

16) Kansas City: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona… Ty Law isn’t getting any younger, neither is Patrick Surtain. This would give Cason at least 1 year to learn from 2 solid CB’s and play nickel before having to become a starter. A Safety might be selected here if they like anyone enough. Drew Stanton is a possibility if they decide that Brodie Croyle is nothing more than a career backup.

17) Philadelphia: Lemarr Woodley, OLB/DE, Michigan…He’s better than Matt McCoy and he has the ability to drop back in coverage and rush the QB. Woodley has the size to line up in a 3point stance. This gives them an outside playmaker to come off the edge. A running back probably isn’t an option here unless M. Lynch takes a big tumble.

1Cool NY Jets: Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn…The Jets need a RB and how they have gotten by so far this year without one is beyond me. Leon Washington would be a pretty good change of pace for Irons. This would be a great addition to the team giving Pennington a little bit more of a threat and if Clemons is the future they’ll have a back to let him grow around.

19) Carolina: Buster Davis, ILB, Florida State…The Panthers have a solid defense and their offense is fairly filled with depth. Delhomme is 31 so he probably has 2 or 3 more years left in him. If the Panthers want someone to sit behind Delhomme for a year or 2 before pushing him they may go for Drew Stanton. Davis would push Chris Draft for his job within 2 or 3 years. He’s a little short but he’s fast and ALL OVER THE FIELD.

20) Baltimore: Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina…They took Mark Clayton a couple of years ago and they have Derrick Mason. They could use a playmaker like Rice to put across from Clayton for the future. Their defense is pretty set and they might look at a RB here if Irons or Lynch fall. Watch out for a rising O-Lineman, RB or a dropping QB like Brohm or Stanton.

21) New England: Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno St…The Patriots are realizing that their CB depth isn’t what it used to be with Ty Law there. Look for the Patriots to consider a WR here or maybe try to trade up to pick one up, despite their selection of Chad Jackson last year. An ILB would be a consideration if there is a top notch prospect to fall to them….watch a trade up for Posluszny or Willis.

22) San Diego: Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame…The Chargers would be wise to put a winner like Samardzija who has the toughness to go across the middle and the speed to take it long, around Phillip Rivers. A LB might be an option here depending on what goes on w/ Merriman and Foley.

23) Minnesota: Drew Stanton, QB, Michigan State…They’ve got an aging Brad Johnson, have retooled their Defense over the past couple of years, picked up their future running back and solidified their O-Line. Stanton could sit behind Johnson for a year or 2 and learn from his game management skills. For all of the doubters of Stanton, tell me who he is surrounded with? He plays with heart, wants to win badly and has all of the skills….reminds me a little of Tom Brady in mentality.

24) St. Louis: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska… They could use a solid DE like Carriker on their D-Line. They had success with their last DE from Nebraska (Grant Wistrom). Bulger is their QB, a WR might be an option if they fall in love with anyone. If a linebacker or Safety fall to them they’ll probably look there first.

25) NY Giants: Frank Okam, DT, Texas…The Giants could use a big guy in the middle who can stop the run and eat up some space. If Mike Hart comes out watch out for him to be the Giant’s selection. In size alone he reminds me of Tiki and they’ll need a change of pace for Brandon Jacobs, if that is who they want.
26) Atlanta: Aaron Rouse, S, Virginia Tech…Lawyer Milloy is getting pretty old, and Chris Crocker doesn’t impress me a whole lot on that defense. Their LB positions are pretty set with depth and there isn’t a whole lot of top notch D-Lineman available with this pick.

27) Cincinnati: Greg Olson, TE, Miami…He’s had a down year but he has monster abilities. This is an attempt to surround Carson with more talent and more targets. Their defense got a bit of help with Ahmed Brooks in the Supplemental Draft. An O-Lineman, if one drops, and a DE, if one drops are possibilities with this pick.

2Cool Denver: Alan Branch, DT, Michigan…The Denver defense looks pretty good this year as does their WR corp. Their O-Line is solid, as usual. A DT like Branch can be a space eater who keeps those speedy LBers free to make plays.

29) New Orleans: Brandon Siler, ILB, Florida…He’s all over the field, a typical Florida defensive product that is fast and solid. New Orleans is looking to build up their Defense a bit and Mark Simoneau doesn’t appear to be the solution in the middle. A CB could be an option here because they could use someone in the slot.

30) New England: Brandon Merriweather, S, Miami…This guy has tons of talent and the ability to be an absolute playmaker in the right system. I know he is a selfish, moronic guy from “THE U”, but where would be a better place for him to go than New England. He’d have Rodney Harrison to knock him out if he got out of line, the leadership of Richard Seymour, Tom Brady and Belicheck. This could be a steal in the first round because he has the talent and abilities to be a MONSTER.

31) Indianapolis: Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio State…They need a bit of help in the middle of that D-Line. Pitcock has played in a very tough conference that pounds the run, probably more than any other major football conference. He is tough and able to hang around with bigger O-Lineman.

32) Chicago: Sam Baker, OT, USC…The Bears offensive line could use a bit of help and could get a bit younger. Baker came from a solid USC team that plays some tough competition, at times, that is up to your opinion. Regardless over the last couple of years he’s undoubtedly faced some very tough, high quality DE’s. The Bears may also look at a TE because Desmond Clark isn’t getting any younger and the TE they may target is named: Joe Newton, who was a top prospect before getting hurt and has looked pretty good this year.
texansfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubiak and Sherman have brought along the mindset that they can turn late-round O-linemen and running backs into stars. That said, we have Spencer and Winston as our futures at Tackle, and can bring in some later round guards if we need some. I don't see us going O-line in the first when our D is such a work in progress.

Look for us to go defense in the first two rounds, then to take the best player available in later rounds. Safety, CB, LB and DT all need to be upgraded, so I see guys like Laron Landry or Alan Branch in the first.

Decent mock and I can understand your reasoning, but I don't think that's the way we'll go. Sacks are down this year and our running game finally took off against Jax.
nb5005

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Calvin Johnson and that would make a great addition to the receiving core. Now I see that Troy Smith and Damion Hughes would be available in the second round I would see them drafting one of those two. Roy Williams numbers would increase along with Calvin Johson making big plays. We would have the two reciever combo that they have been looking for.
mcnett26

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texansfan wrote:
Kubiak and Sherman have brought along the mindset that they can turn late-round O-linemen and running backs into stars. That said, we have Spencer and Winston as our futures at Tackle, and can bring in some later round guards if we need some. I don't see us going O-line in the first when our D is such a work in progress.

Look for us to go defense in the first two rounds, then to take the best player available in later rounds. Safety, CB, LB and DT all need to be upgraded, so I see guys like Laron Landry or Alan Branch in the first.

Decent mock and I can understand your reasoning, but I don't think that's the way we'll go. Sacks are down this year and our running game finally took off against Jax.

I kind of thought along those lines but thought that they'd like to let their young Safeties develop a little, if no progress they might take someone in 2008. At CB I kind of wondered whether they'd leave Lewis Sanders out there and go for an OLB....what about Poluszny if he gets past the Steelers?
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Vikings pick. Tavaris Jackson was drafted to be our quartback of the future. And he was be given a good shot before we think about replacing him. Since he won't be given a shot at playing time this season, we won't need a QB in the first round, or in this draft at all most likely. Greg Olson, Merriweather (even though he is a whole lot less likely with his issues) or some other S, WR or OG would be a better pick.

mcnett26

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about Travaris and maybe it is just because I am a Packer fan, I just didn't think he had it in him, despite his decent preseason. Olsen might be a good pick for you guys i guess... I am not going to make any changes but the next mock I do i'll consider all of this.
Oaktown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the Raiders passing on Peterson or Branch for Adams.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not Jackson has it is him is a moot point. The point is that he will get a chance which means that drafting a QB is out. Rarely in the draft is there a time where a team drafts a player for the future and then drafts another one the next year.

The Kev-O

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCoy has been great this year and he'll be the starter for a while. If we drafted Woodley, it would be as a DE. I think we might take McCauley there though.

Thanks to Y2lamanaki
TTitanFAN32

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
5) Tennessee: Dewayne Jarrett, WR, USC…He may not come out this year but if he does he’d be a great target to put up there for VY. If Calvin Johnson drops for any reason look for the Titans to SNAG him immediately. A DE and OT are options here if anyone falls to them.

Not a terribly horrible choice but not good either...

Some better choices got picked right after us and would be better options for Tennessee in my opinion.

Quentin Moses would definately help out at the DE position to go along with Kyle Vanden Bosch...

Adrian Peterson is another good choice and would be tough to pass on since he is one of the best RB prospects to come out in awhile.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that they probably wouldn't want to go in that direction (AP) because of having Chris Brown, Len Dale White and Travis Henry. To take AP they'd probably have to trade 2 of those backs and try to address other issues through FA, which is an option.
Kazkal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime someone mocks greg olsen to the bengals in the 1st rnd...a devil gets his pitchfork.
mrpotamus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kazkal wrote:
Everytime someone mocks greg olsen to the bengals in the 1st rnd...a devil gets his pitchfork.

Agreed. Alan Branch would be 1,000,000,000 times better.
BrownsFan731

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely AP. I would be ecstatic.

Sig Courteous of ElipticDawg

Love University of Kentucky sports? Check out KentuckyInk.com, ESPN affiliate
cew28315039

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could live with the ram choice seeing as there is no one better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> 2015 NFL Mock Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: