Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Derrick Johnson: How far could he fall?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spaz down. I was just talking to a couple big Bears fans and they were telling me that they would like to take him at number four when I was posting. They wanted either Benson, Edwards, Johnson, or a trade down. Don't tell me to do reasearch when it was already done, dumba$$. Just because the research I did and the opinion I have calshed with yours doesn't mean I did no research. I don't think you are a hard core fan or a drfat guru, so think before you make dumb posts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b_54_urlacher wrote:
we are close to signing Anthony Simmons.

Where did you get that from? Many teams are looking at him, and I have never seen a place talk about where he is going to be going.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lions would snag him right up if he fell that far...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not putting down Derrick Johnson or anything. I think he is a great prospect and will be a great pro especially in the 4-3. I was just saying that based on team needs a lot of the top 10 pick teams dont really need to take him as much as they need to address another position 1st. I think he could slip not because he isnt as good but because teams need a different position more. Most teams wont take a player just because he is a great player that they dont need. Top 10 pick teams need to pick from the position they need the most and that will make the most impact the quickest so they can improve. I am not saying that in my opinion, he definitely will drop out of the top 10. I am just saying that if I am sitting there on draft day and pick 11 comes up and DJ is still on the board I wouldnt be as surprised as many others on this board. Personally I would love for the eagles to get him because they have the ammo to move up and get him especially if he drops out of the top 10. However, they dont value LB very highly and signed an expensive LB like that would make them unhappy I think and they are content with sims and adams at the position with someone to challenge them in the later rounds. Anyways I like urs guys' feedback and also- to the destoit fan- I forgot about the lions signing Kenoy Kennedy I even remembered it when it happened when u mentioned that, it must of slipped my mind but they still need an OT to replace McDougle so I wasnt entirely wrong.
primetime21335

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuppaMan wrote:
rushpacker_56 wrote:
Well, he is the best player in the drfat, and he is the best linebacker prospect that I have seen in years, so I doubt he'll fall that far. I think Chicago might take him, and Tamp should. Gold left them with and opening, and I have heard rumors, mind you, they are just rumors, that Brooks could be traded away.

I don't think he's the best LB prospect in years. Hell look at last year in the first round. DJ Williams biggest knock was that he just was still somewhat new to the position. Seemingly the only knock period that was on any scout place/writeup of Vilma was just his actual size and made it known in the report that other than his size he had no noticable flaws in his game. Now take DJ this year, he's still a bit lanky for his height (not a big deal) but he likes to do what he wants to do on the field (think LaVar Arrington) and doesn't take on blocks and runs around them. So while not a bust I think if chosen really high it's stupid compared to people passing on Vilma and Williams last year. And I hate that people think LaVar is a top 5 LB. He doesn't play the way he's told (how many spats did he and Marvin Lewis have when he was there), and likes to just try to make plays himself on the field. However LaVar will take on blocks though, so if DJ plays like that, but tries to run around blocks it and was chosen in the top 10, it will as big a joke as Arrington going in the top 3. I don't hate him, but he has noticable flaws, and people act like he's perfect here and just simply amazing. To me out of the last year, this year, and next years draft, he may not even be a top 5 LB in the NFL out of those drafts.

dude.. come on is this the first year ur following the draft? yes lets look back to last years draft and we'll look back to see that prior to DJ pulling his name out of contention he was considered the best lb availabe on almost every single board i saw.

if johnson was a round last year there is a very very good chance he woul dhave went before them too, this is not opinion it is fact, i remember ppl talking about it last year when he said he was staying in texas and i remember being impressed b/c vilma wiliams are so athletic.
BeaverBeastly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey PrimeTime detroit was already talking about moving lehman to mlb so know your facts before you try to say anything

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Prime I'm with Suppa! That was a great breakdown of DJ. He doesn't love the contact my man. He will avoid a pulling gaurd, and go for the ankles on his tackles. He is a great athlete-no doubt! However, he plays a little soft. Not something you relish in a #7 OLB.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so hard to argue this. He was a stud in college, and there is no reason that he won't do it in the pros. You can say he won't, but that is possibly because you want him to drop to your team. I think the Bucs will take him, but that's my opinion. Pittman did OK, and Garner was injured. They could use a wideout, but Brooks and Quarles are aging, plus Gold left. They need a linebacker, so why not take the best? Like I said, you can't really argue this until he starts playing in the pros.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have him going to chicago. pair him with urlacher that would be the old bears LB's all over again
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said Chicago could take him as well, but people are ripping me for it. They don't seem to like that much. I think he will go to the Bucs at number five.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rushpacker_56 wrote:
I said Chicago could take him as well, but people are ripping me for it. They don't seem to like that much. I think he will go to the Bucs at number five.

i got carnell going to tampa
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? Pittman was fine and Garner was injured most of the year. I have Caddy dropping all the way to the Jets in round one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go....my initial post was referring to Suppa Man's post.....but if you want to bring it RUSHPACKER_56 then here we go.

Just because you talk to a few bears fans doesn't make it good research. The Bears have too much money invested in the LB's as I stated in my previous post. I would know....I am a die hard Chicago Bears fan and its my team....just like you probably have a favorite team as well.

If you want to test my knowledge of the sport of football....go ahead you will lose...I have played and coached. I may only be 20 years old...but I have played on the High School level (QB) and am currently a student assistant coach for a college football team. I was also previously a student assistant at a smaller college football team and also helped with another college team during their training camp.

I believe this makes me more than a hardcore fan....and no I am not a draft guru..however, I do recieve Kiper's guide every year and watch every pick....

Sorry to sound pissed....but I had to defend myself and I did it without absurd name calling
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me some good reasons why they wouldn't take him, and who they would take in his place. I can give you reasons why they would take Johnson over every single player you give me. I got mad because you say we do no research into this, when we do plenty. This is why I can give you reasons against every pick you can throw out. I don't think that the Bears will take him, I think Tampa will, however I do think that there is a big possibility that the Bears will take him. And also, where did you hear that the Bears would take Anthony Simmons? I would really like to know. I didin't want to start anything huge, but I get upset when people tell me I do no research when I spend each and every day doing things to get ready for football season, and go to the NFL web sites to find out each and every piece of news I can. I'm only in high school, but football is my life. I weight train and run every day to be at the top of my game. I may not play a high profile posistion like quarterback, but I play positions that require strength, speed, and the knowledge of the game in fullback and linebacker.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno what u mean by pick a player and you will throw him out because that is just opinions.

We won't pick DJ for many reasons- 1 cap room....to have 3 good to great LB's will make us sacrifice cap room at other positions.
2. We have other Lb's to fill the need Marcus Reese is only a 3rd year player as is Joe Odom and Hunter Hillenmeyer.
3. We are close to getting Anthony Simmons. The source was a couple of days from I believe profootballtalk.com

We should take Mike Williams because he is the surest player not to bust. The numbers he put up as a true freshman and sophomore are unreal and in the national spotlight.
I prefer him over Braylon for the simple reason that he is a sure handed target and doesn't have an attitude problem.....we already tried that with another Michigan WR(David Terrell) and it didn't work out.
I actually like all three of the RB's almost evenly-Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, and Cadilac Williams. Each has traits that I like and all could be successful.
So I would go in this order-Mike Williams, Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Caddy, and Braylon Edwards. All before DJ.

Another reason not to take DJ is he doesn't shed blockers well and we already have a LB like that in Urlacher. That is the reason that I believe the bears got rid of Rosey Colvin(he couldn't shed blocks efficiently).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: