Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Jones
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeaverBeastly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Matt Jones Reply with quote

Looking at everyteams forums and mock drafts made for that team everyone has matt jones going to there team so i would just like to know where will he really probaly end up?

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more and more mocks have him going in the late second and early third. all i know is that if he's still around by denver's first compensatory pick, we better pick him up.
mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan_101 wrote:
more and more mocks have him going in the late second and early third. all i know is that if he's still around by denver's first compensatory pick, we better pick him up.
Sorry man it was said on ESPN today by Chris Mortenson that he will be a late 1st rd to mid 2nd rd pick. I think late in the 1st suitors would be the Chargers, Steelers, Eagles, or in in the early 2nd rd to the 49ers or Buccaneers.
GoLions17

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt hell go that early to a position that he hasnt played at a college level much less the nfl level. im not saying hes not good hes a great athlete but whos gonna use a first or second round pick on a guy that theyve seen only at the senior bowl and workouts. unless someone plans on using him as a qb.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hearing the same things that mr.knowitall has. I was kinda shocked when I heard he might go in the 1st, but it's happened before. Randle-El for example. Pittsburgh might be just the place for him with the loss of Burress.
RD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randle El didnt go in the first.

He'll probably go in the second somewhere most likely. I would think the earliest he goes would be to the Steelers, but I dont see that happening.

Oh, and just because Mortensen says something hardly makes it fact.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
Randle El didnt go in the first.

My bad, he was a 2nd rounder.
skopi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Jones is an incredible athlete and he very well could end up a great performer in the league. However, the waiver wire is full of great athletes who did not become great players. For every Hines Wards there is an Eric Crouch or plenty of players that didn't even change positions.

I realize Mort believes he will go late first. If so, I could see Pittsburgh doing it because they have been successful before with a QB to WR change. However, I sure would not want my team wasting a first round pick on a great athlete who does not have a long track record at his position.

sko
Titans2004

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that he will go in the late first early/mid 2nd. You have to think that teams like the eagles and Bucs who both have a need at WR and multiple draft picks would be likely candidates. The only way i see the Titans going for him is if we trade down from #6 and get another early/mid 2nd rnder.
Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether it's smart or dumb, late 1st to early 2nd is what people are saying now. Sean Salisbury and John Clayton were talking him up a couple days ago, with Clayton saying he's going in the 1st (he just doesn't know how high). Mortensen says he's hearing 1st or 2nd. Peter King said he was the most talked about player among GMs in Maui this week, calling him "the most intriguing prospect in recent draft history", and mentioning St Louis (at 19), Denver (25), and Pittsburgh (30) as possible 1st rd destinations for Jones. (Jones himself, btw, says the teams that seem most interested are Dallas, Denver, Jacksonville, and St. Louis. Martz is supposedly sick he didn't get Randle-El, and doesn't want to miss out on Jones.)

One GM (in an ESPN article out today about Jones) asked how you could ignore him, saying, "He's the best athlete in the draft. It may not even be close. Honestly, he's the most mesmerizing player I've ever evaluated." From the same article, Mortenson says, "Matt Jones won't be among the top 10 players selected in the April 23-24 draft, but I will venture to say that he'll play in more Pro Bowls than almost any of those guys." (The article also has quotes from an NFL coach and a bunch who coached against him in college - Saban, Richt, Spurrier, Zook...)

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=mortensen_chris&id=2025109

Jones is a risk, though. Definitely. Anyone changing positions is. And I've got to admit that I was less than impressed the few times I saw him line up at WR in college. But Jones - unlike Randle-El, Crouch, etc. - brings a new set of physical attributes to the table that nobody's seen before. 6'6 1/4", 242 lbs, electonic 4.4 speed, 40" VJ, possibly the best hands in the draft. The last time I was as excited over a skill position player like this from a freakish physical standpoint was Randy Moss. (Just for fun, where would Moss have been drafted if he'd played QB? How far would Vick - who the Falcons hand timed at 4.37, btw - have dropped if he was being moved to WR?)

The crazy thing, though - as anyone who's watched Jones a bunch knows - is that he actually plays even faster than his stats. He looks so slow, lumbering, and awkward that people seem to take worse angles than the bad ones they'd normally take against a burner. I highly doubt any player in NCAA history has ever broken off as many long runs as him, running away from the SEC's fastest kids, week in and week out.

Jones may be a horrible NFL player. And because of his awkward, lumbering style, if he's a bust it will make whoever chose him look really stupid. But I think he's worth risking a late first round or early second round pick.
superchargers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoLions17 wrote:
i doubt hell go that early to a position that he hasnt played at a college level much less the nfl level.

yeah you're right. Antonio Gates totally sucks. (sarcasm)

...And Gates didn't even play college ball!
rblevens

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superchargers wrote:
GoLions17 wrote:
i doubt hell go that early to a position that he hasnt played at a college level much less the nfl level.

yeah you're right. Antonio Gates totally sucks. (sarcasm)

...And Gates didn't even play college ball!

Great point.

I would love to know what the Pats think about him...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acually gates did play college ball he played at kent state for a little bit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeaverBeastly wrote:
Acually gates did play college ball he played at kent state for a little bit

He played college basketball, not football.
GoPats

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mid Major Tony Gonzalez Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: