Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

For all who have ESPN Insider...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
htfryar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: For all who have ESPN Insider... Reply with quote

For all of you who have ESPN Insider, there is a great article by Chris Mortensen about Matt Jones.

Here is the link, again this is a link that only works for ESPN Insiders...

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=mortensen_chris&id=2025109

For those of you who don't have ESPN Insider, here are a few quotes...

Quote:
Jones is a freak. Let's just remind you of his measurables again, as now officially recorded from his scouting combine and pro day workouts.

Height: 6-6
Weight: 242
40 time (hand-timed): 4.37 and 4.39
40 time (electronic): 4.40
Vertical jump: 39.5 inches
Standing broad jump: 10 feet, 9 inches

His hands? I think he has the best hands in the draft. He's a basketball player, gifted enough after his junior football season at Arkansas to earn a starting spot on the basketball team within two weeks of his late arrival.

"We charted every pass thrown to him during the Senior Bowl week, and [he] caught all but one," one personnel director said.

So, as a receiver, he's bigger than Southern California's Mike Williams, he's faster, he's more explosive and he might have better hands.

There is a lot more in the article and I would love to post it for y'all, but we aren't allowed to post entire articles from premium areas.

Those on here who are Matt Jones haters, bashers and disbelievers or those who are part of the "Mike Williams is GOD" crowd will bash him like you always do, and that is fine. However, you have to admit that Chris Mortensen knows more about football and has covered it a lot longer than most of us here have. Here is one last quote from Mortensen...

Quote:
Matt Jones won't be among the top 10 players selected in the April 23-24 draft, but I will venture to say that he'll play in more Pro Bowls than almost any of those guys.

And I will laugh, knowing I told you so.

Those are the last words of the article and I couldn't agree with them more. Let the Matt Jones bashing/hating and the Mike Williams lovefest begin, lol.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love both guys, so I can't hate on either one LOL.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
Dash

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Jones is a FREAK!
Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: For all who have ESPN Insider... Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
For all of you who have ESPN Insider

The link works for anyone, ESPN Insider or not. (Lots of quotes from lots of people. I like the quote about it being amazing and not fair that a guy that big, that strong, and that fast is all in one person.)
nor*cal09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had everything but his hands looked a little suspect at the Senior bowl.
BoKnowsFootball

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Mike Williams but that doesnt mean I dislike Matt Jones. I would like the Bears to grab both of them in the draft. Then we could finally have an exciting offense Wink
wpbsball12

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Jones may end up being a better pro then Williams, but there is no way he could go earlier then him. He is too raw and he has a questionable work ethic. However, with that said, I think he is an absolute monster.
rblevens

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a beast...

Picture him running a reverse...will he throw it or run it???

I have him in the second round and I believe he will make it to the Pro Bowl more times than Braylon if he gets more polished at the position...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rblevens wrote:
He is a beast...

Picture him running a reverse...will he throw it or run it???

I have him in the second round and I believe he will make it to the Pro Bowl more times than Braylon if he gets more polished at the position...

thats what i was thinking....I was thinking if the Falcons drafted him round 2, just imagine the fun they could have with him and Vick on the same team...reverses like you said, he could throw the ball to Vick...It would give them all kinds of options so if there offense wasn't exciting enough, just imagine it with Matt Jones added.

Houses on my wrists. Whips on Fists. Your budget on my neck. Your spouse on my -.
W.PAYTONS#1FAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones with Vick wouldnt be fair
Vigilante

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are PATHETIC

Everyone knows about stats and how he is an insanely talented athlete, but

talent = dosent always guarantee success

Sure there are plenty of ways he can become a rising star, but there are many roads to failure.

There have been so many talented athletes in college and many of them have failed.

There is no doubt that he is athletically gifted, but he needs to improve on many things as a WR.... route running, burst (I dont believe he has the best 1st step to be an elite WR), hands, beating CB jamming ect

Im not hating, just speaking the truth
BigVezzy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: HMMM Reply with quote

No dissrepct to the guys that play the position, but WR is not the hardest position to play in the world. Its not that hard to run a skinny post or a flag. I don't think it will be to hard to learn the position, plus with him being a prior QB he already knows how those routes should be ran.

Lets talk about these 4 guys.

T.O.
Moss
Gonzales
Gates

What are some things they have in common?

All are considered for the most part the best in there positon (receiveing wise)
All are around the 6'4" range
All are past Basketball players
All use there body to get the ball, be it T.O., Gates, Gonzo using there size or Moss out jumping the DB and using his body to shield the guy off

Not saying he is or will ever be the same type of player but he has allot of things in common with those guys style wise, be it Size (Gonzo,TO,Gates) or speed and jumping ability (Moss)

Then just think about MJ #s.
6'6"/245 4.37 in the 40/Vertical jump 39.5"

I am 6'5" and my reach is 8'6" so if I had Jones veritical jump I would be able to get up to 11'9". Give or take a inch or two for his height and reach and he might be able to get real close to 12'. You know what else is that high........ the top of the backboard on a basketball goal!!!! Think about that the next time you see one driving sown the road. Do you think that a 5'10" DB or Safety is going to be able to get up that high? If I was an offensive Coordinator I would toss it up for him to grab everytime my team was in the Red Zone.

Check out this link watch at the end where the are showing him in the Senior Bowl workouts. The last catch in the clip they call it the "million dollar catch" look at how high he is catchin that ball with one hand on a pass that is behind him. ARE YOU SERIOUS!! When you watch the Video it is a little grainy but look at how much bigger he is compaired to the guys that are tryin to defend against him

http://woopigsooie.net/mattcombine.wmv

I don't know if he will ever make a huge impact in the NFL. I do think that givin the chance with good coaching and mentorship from established players he could make some GM look like a genious

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: