Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Aaron Rodgers better than Phillip Rivers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBigE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Aaron Rodgers better than Phillip Rivers Reply with quote

there is talk about the 49ers trading the top pick for Phillip Rivers stariaght up, with the rationale being that Rivers rates out much higher and Rodgers. Now, both teams since then have denied the trade rumor, with San Diego saying they want to decide who will be their QB of the future after the 2005 season.

But I just want to focus on the statement of Rivers being better than Rodgers. Rivers is, in my mind, a weak armed system QB with mechanics problems and he will not be anything like a franchise QB in the NFL. Some people have said Rodgers is a system QB and that could be true, but he deserves a chance to prove he can be a good QB in any system. The difference between him and Rivers is he has no arm strength questions and his throwing mechanics are sound.

Rivers reminds me of Alex Smith. Mechanics problems and not as strong an arm as you want to see from a no 5-10 pick...And in my mind, anyone who has those problems cant be considered a top prospect and therefore doesn't measure up to Aaron Rodgers.(unless they have Michael-vick like athleticism or something)

Houses on my wrists. Whips on Fists. Your budget on my neck. Your spouse on my -.
rblevens

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodgers is definitely better than Rivers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Rodgers is a MUCH better talent than Philip Rivers, but Rivers has the intangibles...

an ESPN article:

Quote:
"It's more than just throwing the football," said Chargers wide receivers coach James Lofton, speaking about Rivers and the esteem in which he is held by the San Diego staff. "He's got that certain 'it' that is hard to define. There is a presence there. You watch him in the huddle, all eyes are on him, not a head moves. You just can't say that about every quarterback, you know? I don't think he's surprised by very much."

Senior Bowl scout comments:

Quote:
Rivers was particularly effective hitting on the intermediate routes, but his deep passes tend to hang, while he wasn't very accurate on a couple of flat routes.... Rivers isn't a threat to run and doesn't create many second looks for himself to throw, but he has great pocket awareness and patience as a drop-back passer... Rivers is winning this race(with Losman) in the intangible areas. He has impressed teams with is intelligence, personality and character.

now... here is aaron rodgers...

Quote:
Simply put, Rodgers looked a lot like he usually does at Memorial Stadium: He put nearly every pass on the money, showcased his scarily quick release and displayed equal helpings of touch and arm strength. He delivered picturesque deep balls with a seeming flick of the wrist, gunned deep outs and skinny posts that landed in the perfect spot and showed off his flawless footwork and fundamentals. Of the 91 balls he threw, four hit the ground-only one because of his mistake.
Superfreak842

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you said about Rodgers, give Rivers a chance to prove himself.
TheBigE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who are you gonna take? The guy with the great arm, mobility, and basically the ability to let your offense do what it wants to do?

or the guy with the "intangibles" who has a weak arm and will clearly be a limiting factor on your offense.

To me, the choice is clear.

Houses on my wrists. Whips on Fists. Your budget on my neck. Your spouse on my -.
TheBigE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superfreak842 wrote:
Like you said about Rodgers, give Rivers a chance to prove himself.

Ill give Rivers a chance. Im not saying hes worthless or something. Plenty of players have overcome obstacles and had to prove a lot of people wrong. PLnety of guys people dint think had first round credentials ended up being great pros...

But if you want to ask me who the better prospect is...

hands down, Aaron Rodgers.

superchargers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who looked better coming out of college Joe Montana or Jeff George? Tom Brady or Ryan Leaf? Sometimes it's not all about tangible aspects. The most important part about being a good QB is the ability to lead an offense, not throw a ball though a brick wall.
RD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Aaron Rodgers better than Phillip Rivers Reply with quote

TheBigE wrote:
Some people have said Rodgers is a system QB and that could be true, but he deserves a chance to prove he can be a good QB in any system.

So Rodgers deserves a shot to prove himself, but Rivers doesn't. Care to explain that one?
BoKnowsFootball

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone actually see Rivers play this year? I saw a couple scrimages as well as a couple games he played in, to mop up this year, and he looks like the real deal. I like Rodgers but I'll take Rivers over Rodgers and Brees. He jsut needs a chance to play and he will shine IMO
inkwell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Rivers play a ton in college. He was a true leader of that team. His mechanics are not going to be corrected. They are gonna let him throw that weird 3/4 motion. He is a Kosar type with better tools but the same intangibles. I would take Rivers if I had the choice.
pboyk12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you rather have? A QB with a strong arm and mobility, or a guy who leads your team to wins? Quarterback, more than any other position, is about that intangible quality. "It," as the coach put it, is much more important than any other factor. I'd take Brady over Manning 10 times out of 10, knowing what I know now about them. Gimme Super Bowls over TD records any day.
GoLions17

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id take rivers over rodgers any day

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO Rodgers is way better prospect and the niners seem to agree stating this year top 5 is stronger than last years top 5 which included Eli, Rivers
nor*cal09

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there were 2 quarterbacks I would be torn over it would be these 2 they, I feel are the best from their respective classes, Rivers is a proven winner even though his mechanics aren't great he still has solid arm strength and is pretty accurate. I would still take Rodgers though
nor*cal09

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That post on the 49erswebzone.com scared the hell out of me thank god it was an april fools joke.

Surprised worst joke in history Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: