Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Valhalla of Fame
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 27232
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Valhalla of Fame Reply with quote

As we're getting close to the induction (finally) of Mick Tingelhoff, it brings us back again to the discussion surrounding which Viking may next be inducted into the HOF.

The currently eligible former Vikings are (were on nominee list for 2015):

Randall Cunningham
Rich Gannon
Roger Craig
Herschel Walker
Chris Hinton
Joey Browner
Morten Andersen
Gary Anderson

Future Eligible:

2016 - FB Tony Richardson, QB Brett Favre, S Darren Sharper
2017 - None
2018 - CB Antoine Winfield, C Matt Birk, WR Randy Moss, OG Steve Hutchinson
2019 - None

Eligible via Veterans' Committee - Jim Marshall, Chuck Foreman

So, who will be next?
_________________


Thx to Lil Uno!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TENINCH


Joined: 29 Apr 2014
Posts: 5680
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there will be a push to get Jim Marshall in. Out of the ones eligible you listed I don't see any of them getting in.
_________________
#HEYTEDDY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 21405
Location: PGH
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:
I think there will be a push to get Jim Marshall in. Out of the ones eligible you listed I don't see any of them getting in.


not even Cunningham?

I ask because I haven't followed much of the Vikings Hall of Fame/Ring of Honor.
_________________


Live Free. Think Free. Love Free

Minnesota Vikings 2016 Preseason Division Champs!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Virginia Viking


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 3585
Location: Winchester, VA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
TENINCH wrote:
I think there will be a push to get Jim Marshall in. Out of the ones eligible you listed I don't see any of them getting in.


not even Cunningham?

I ask because I haven't followed much of the Vikings Hall of Fame/Ring of Honor.


Cunningham had good seasons, but a very inconsistent career. However, I would put the year he had in '98 and the year Favre had in '09 in the top 15 single seasons any quarterback has ever had!!

I agree...there will be...and there should be a push to get Jim Marshall in HOF.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boda


Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1753
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreman or Browner IMO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uncle Buck


Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 18456
Location: Viking Country
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:
I think there will be a push to get Jim Marshall in. Out of the ones eligible you listed I don't see any of them getting in.


Marshall should have gone in before Tinglehoff, IMHO. I hope they get him in while Bud Grant is still alive. I know he would love that.
_________________

Go in there and win one for the Gumper.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
byuvike88


Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 3785
Location: Shelley Idaho
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Sharper life after football stop him from reaching the HOF?

I really hope Winfield gets in someday. I doubt he does, but he was one of the best run/screen stuffing corners.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 27232
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byuvike88 wrote:
Does Sharper life after football stop him from reaching the HOF?

I really hope Winfield gets in someday. I doubt he does, but he was one of the best run/screen stuffing corners.


While the PFHOF doesn't have the character clause attached to induction like baseball does, I imagine it has to play a factor and Sharper will never get serious consideration. He would have because of his knack for getting INTs, but people won't be able to get past what he did. Besides the fact, how would you talk about it at the ceremony, considering he couldn't attend? Can you say, awkward?

As far as Winfield, he probably won't ever get serious consideration either, because of his lack of a number of Pro Bowls. While that shouldn't be a deciding factor, it will be.
_________________


Thx to Lil Uno!


Last edited by disaacs on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 81434
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byuvike88 wrote:
Does Sharper life after football stop him from reaching the HOF?

DARREN Sharper?

absolutely his off field felonies disqualify him from any HOF consideration.
_________________


"Glove the one you're with."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TENINCH


Joined: 29 Apr 2014
Posts: 5680
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of his off the field stuff I've never viewed Sharper as a HOF'er
_________________
#HEYTEDDY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
byuvike88


Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 3785
Location: Shelley Idaho
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
byuvike88 wrote:
Does Sharper life after football stop him from reaching the HOF?

I really hope Winfield gets in someday. I doubt he does, but he was one of the best run/screen stuffing corners.


While the PFHOF doesn't have the character clause attached to induction like baseball does, I imagine it has to play a factor and Sharper will never get serious consideration. He would have because of his knack for getting INTs, but people won't be able to get past what he did. Besides the fact, how would you talk about it at the ceremony, considering he couldn't attend? Can you say, awkward?

As far as Winfield, he probably won't ever get serious consideration either, because of his lack of a number of Pro Bowls. While that shouldn't be a deciding factor, it will be.


That's what I thought about the PFHOF. I agree I wouldn't put him in because of it, but isn't only serving like 7 years? (which is crazy for the conviction he got). It is sad to see players like Sapp who have gone into the Hall make a mess of their lives after getting inducted.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 51752
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of Favre, who everyone knows has a far more significant legacy with the Packers than the Vikings, we may have to wait until 2018 when Randy Moss gets into the HOF.

While Moss enjoyed the most team success with the Patriots, most will recall his dominance from 1998-2004 as part of the Vikings.

Hutchinson is another player who could get in, but it may take awhile, just like Tinglehoff. Interior lineman struggle to get HOF recognition.

Richardson, Birk, Winfield and Sharper simply arent HOF caliber players.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 27232
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With the Class of 2015 being enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame this Saturday, we thought we'd turn our All-32 gaze toward Canton -- by listing each franchise's most deserving candidate for inclusion.

Minnesota Vikings: Matt Blair, linebacker
Talk to any longtime Vikings fan, and he/she will extoll the virtues of Matt Blair, an athlete who could seemingly block a kick as easily as he made a tackle.


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000506384/article/pro-football-hall-of-fame-top-candidate-for-each-nfc-team

What an odd choice for Harrison to make. I think Blair is a notable player in Vikings' history (as I watched probably the last half of his career), but never have I once considered him even remotely qualified to be considered for the HOF.
_________________


Thx to Lil Uno!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Virginia Viking


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 3585
Location: Winchester, VA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Quote:
With the Class of 2015 being enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame this Saturday, we thought we'd turn our All-32 gaze toward Canton -- by listing each franchise's most deserving candidate for inclusion.

Minnesota Vikings: Matt Blair, linebacker
Talk to any longtime Vikings fan, and he/she will extoll the virtues of Matt Blair, an athlete who could seemingly block a kick as easily as he made a tackle.


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000506384/article/pro-football-hall-of-fame-top-candidate-for-each-nfc-team

What an odd choice for Harrison to make. I think Blair is a notable player in Vikings' history (as I watched probably the last half of his career), but never have I once considered him even remotely qualified to be considered for the HOF.


Yes. I think Blair is also an odd choice. Don't get me wrong, Blair was a heck of a player, and one that I truly enjoyed watching (no kick was ever a gimme when he lined up against it)!!! But, his legacy is thin to being enshrined in the NFL HOF.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 34193
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blocked kicks and six pro bowls make Blair a logical choice, but I do agree that there are other, possibly better, candidates.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
2016 Aggregate Draft Board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group