Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would rather give Ponder another shot
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VikingChop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Would rather give Ponder another shot Reply with quote

I wish our incompetent coaching staff would let our former 1st rd QB play some ball. He's still young and improving, unlike cassell. Bridgewater should sit 1-2 years - he's not ready.

In summary, we should keep cassell, but keep him as the #2. Ponder should start, we still don't know what we have out of him. He's been brilliant at times.

I feel like we should have waited to draft a QB until next year. We could've used our later 1st on a player like Demarcus Lawrence and gotten another pass rusher. I'm really disappointed with our offseason so far.

Hopefully we have a good preseason.
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I find it difficult to believe that you are actually being serious.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
The Gnat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm fine having Ponder being a #2 QB until the middle of the season after Bridgewater has had more of a chance to learn before he gets on the field, but unless Cassell goes down in week 1-4, Ponder shouldn't see significant playing time.

VikingChop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am. I took my purple shades off and remembered how good Ponder was in a few games. He's had a few really bad ones too, but most of the time it wasn't his fault. He's a scapegoat... I get it. We like to blame him for all of our problems but the real reason is we didn't have a lot of talent around him until now.

We shouldn't have wasted that pick on bridgewater. We need more pass rushers.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the Ponder "bandwagon" (more like Ponder let's just let it play out wagon), but the last season, a lot of it was on Ponder, his good games are probably about half of his really bad games, and his one nice stat coming out of college, being better in the red zone and on third down didn't even live out to be true. Can he improve more out from under Musgrave and Frazier, for sure, but if you start Ponder the pressure will be to play Bridgewater very early, but with Cassell people recognize that he is a stop-gap veteran and will give him a bit longer leash.

vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone's off their meds.

if this member didn't have "viking" in his username, he'd be warned for trolling.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
VikingChop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnat, I think Ponder is as good as Cassell
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Would rather give Ponder another shot Reply with quote

VikingChop wrote:
I wish our incompetent coaching staff would let our former 1st rd QB play some ball.

So not even a pre-season game into Zimmer's job, him and his coaching staff are already incompetent? Wow...glad you can see into the future

According to media reports, Ponder has constantly been the worst QB during off-season work outs. Ponder has had plenty of chances to prove he's an NFL quarterback. He has failed completely. The fans think he's a joke, his teammates think he's a joke, everyone in the NFL think he's a joke.

He should never start again unless Cassel and Bridgewater go down. Then I'd "ponder" putting in McKinnon before Ponder.

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!
jshowers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same guy that thinks Patterson is going to be a huge disappointment this season....
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Would rather give Ponder another shot Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
So not even a pre-season game into Zimmer's job, him and his coaching staff are already incompetent?

According to media reports, Ponder has constantly been the worst QB during off-season work outs. Ponder has had plenty of chances to prove he's an NFL quarterback. He has failed completely.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Would rather give Ponder another shot Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
So not even a pre-season game into Zimmer's job, him and his coaching staff are already incompetent?

According to media reports, Ponder has constantly been the worst QB during off-season work outs. Ponder has had plenty of chances to prove he's an NFL quarterback. He has failed completely.

Take Ponder to the river, drop him in the water Take Ponder to the river, dip him in the water.

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!
VikingChop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Would rather give Ponder another shot Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
VikingChop wrote:
I wish our incompetent coaching staff would let our former 1st rd QB play some ball.

So not even a pre-season game into Zimmer's job, him and his coaching staff are already incompetent? Wow...glad you can see into the future

According to media reports, Ponder has constantly been the worst QB during off-season work outs. Ponder has had plenty of chances to prove he's an NFL quarterback. He has failed completely. The fans think he's a joke, his teammates think he's a joke, everyone in the NFL think he's a joke.

He should never start again unless Cassel and Bridgewater go down. Then I'd "ponder" putting in McKinnon before Ponder.

Isn't tht a bit harsh? Cmon man, Ponder had some bad games but who doesn't? He's been given a short leash because of change of coaching staffs. He hasn't been given "plenty of chances", man.

If I was starting up a franchise tomorrow, i'd take ponder over casselll and bridgewater.
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikingChop wrote:
We like to blame him for all of our problems but the real reason is we didn't have a lot of talent around him until now.

How has the talent around him changed from last year to this year?

-Still have Adrian Peterson? Check.
-Still have Greg Jennings? Check.
-Still have Kyle Rudolph? Check.
-Still have Cordarrelle Patterson? Check.

How can you legitimately think that we didn't have much talent around him until now?
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikingChop wrote:
Gnat, I think Ponder is as good as Cassell

Talent wise, you could be correct, but there is more to it than that.

Cassel clicked with our offense. We had a more stable, functional offense with Cassel in the game (allthough this cannot be said for the Bengals and Panthers games this past year). Our offense was in rhythm, we didn't commit costly turnovers, and Matt helped us win some games this year.

When Ponder played, we saw the same critical mistakes, the poor passes that killed any chance of a comeback (see late in the Cleveland game, or Ponder's "Fail Mary" vs Dallas) and our offense didn't click. Even with Ponder making some nice big plays, our offense still looked like a mess. He never took that next step.

I was a huge Ponder fan. I knew the 2013 season's success would have to ride on Ponder's shoulders, and he didn't do a good enough job. He's even stated this himself. He's shown me enough for me to believe he's not the guy. If we continue to play Ponder, there is a very strong chance we will see the same results as last year, and so drafting Bridgewater was not a waste

Until proven otherwise, Cassel will be the starter, Bridgewater is the #2, and Ponder will be the #3.

As far as passrushers go, we lost an aging Jared Allen, but promoted Everson Griffen who will be (likely) entering his prime, signed a huge NT who will open up pass rushing lanes for someone like Brian Robison, have more depth at DE with Wooton and Chricton, and should hopefully see more production out of Shariff Floyd. On top of that, we did draft a pass rushing SLB in Anthony Barr, although I don't expect much out of him his rookie year. Our pass rushers are fine, we just need more depth at DT in general.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Would rather give Ponder another shot Reply with quote

VikingChop wrote:
If I was starting up a franchise tomorrow, i'd take ponder over casselll and bridgewater.

Take him over Cassel fine, but Bridgewater?!?! No way man, that's ridiculous!

Last edited by VikeManDan on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: