Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

the big Unknowns...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: the big Unknowns... Reply with quote

list and discuss three UNKNOWNS for our 2015 offense and defense.

what are the biggest questions we do not presently have the answers to as we head in to Zimmer's second year...?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OFFENSE:
will AP comeback as his usual self, or will his age have caught up with him?
how well will Wallace fit into the offense?
will Patterson finally make the next step and contribute on offense?
will Teddy establish himself as the franchise guy and a top-10 QB?
will Rudolph stay healthy?
who wins the LG job?
will Kalil regain his rookie Pro Bowl level form?
what role will MyCole Pruitt play?

DEFENSE:
will Waynes start at corner? how good will he be?
will Blanton keep his starting spot at safety? who replaces him?
will Robison lose playing time to Hunter/Crichton?
will Greenway keep his starting spot at WLB, or will Hodges/Coles take it?
will Taylor Mays and/or Casey Matthews make the team?
who gets more playing time: Newman, Munnerlyn or Robinson?

Last edited by Heimdallr on Sun May 17, 2015 11:46 am; edited 2 times in total
jshowers

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest unknowns on offense:
1. Starter at LG
2. Kalil's health/effectiveness
3. Patterson's development
4. Peterson's effectiveness
5. Bridgewater's deep ball

Biggest unknowns on defense:
1. Starter at CB2
2. Starter at ILB
3. NT improvement
4. Pass rush opposite Griffen
5. Barr's development/usage pattern
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OFFENSE

Quarterback - What kind of player is Teddy Bridgewater? Will he make significant strides and put himself as a fringe top 10 caliber player in year two or will he be stuck in mediocrity and be no better than Alex Smith.

Split End - Who wins the starting job, Charles Johnson or Cordarrelle Patterson? Can either Johnson or Patterson be relied on as long-term starters?

Tight End - Can Kyle Rudolph stay healthy season and actually emerge as a receiver who can average more than 10 yards per catch consistently?

Left Tackle - Is this the year Matt Kalil puts it all together or will the Vikings look to replace him with Mike Harris, T.J. Clemmings or Tyrus Thompson? Will Kalil be given as much leeway as last year to turn his performance around?

Left Guard - David Yankey, Joe Berger, T.J. Clemmings, Tyrus Thompson and Mike Harris will all likely get looks at LG from now until preseason. Who do the coaches see as the favorite?

DEFENSE

Left Defensive End - Does Zimmer finally demote Brian Robison to a situational pass rusher role? Has Scott Crichton progressed enough to at least be a base run stuffer?

Middle Linebacker - Will Erick Kendricks win the starting job or does Audie Cole impress in camp? If Cole wins the MLB job, will the Vikings move Kendricks to WLB and cut Greenway?

Anthony Barr - What will his role be? Will we see him rush the passer more as an edge player with the addition of Kendricks to pair with Gerald Hodges as ideal coverage LBs?

Left Cornerback - Trae Waynes, Terence Newman and Josh Robinson will be in for a tough battle for the starting job. Will Waynes impress from day one to start or will Zimmer lean on the vet Newman?

Safety - We know what we have in Harrison Smith, does Blanton get replaced by Antone Exum or Taylor Mays?

SPECIAL TEAMS

ST Only players - How many roster spots can the Vikings save for players who offer nothing on offense or defense like Adam Thielen, Marcus Sherels, Mike Mauti, and potentially Cordarrelle Patterson (if he fails to emerge as a top 4 WR on this team).

Punt Returner - Sherels is wasting a roster spot, can Jerick McKinnon or Stefon Diggs make him expendable and take over as PR.

Last edited by vikingsrule on Sun May 17, 2015 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crickett

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Waynes needs some time to develop. Having Newman and Munnerlyn gives the Vikings that time. I think the Vikings should take advantage of that and redshirt Waynes.

The downside to doing that is.... let's be honest if Waynes really does need an adjustment period and struggles in limited playing time people (possibly people in the front office) will look at Waynes like he's already a bust. Kind of like Justin Gilbert.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickett wrote:
I think Waynes needs some time to develop. Having Newman and Munnerlyn gives the Vikings that time. I think the Vikings should take advantage of that and redshirt Waynes.

The downside to doing that is.... let's be honest if Waynes really does need an adjustment period and struggles in limited playing time people (possibly people in the front office) will look at Waynes like he's already a bust. Kind of like Justin Gilbert.

I think Waynes has stuff to learn but he is too talented to redshirt
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be surprised if Waynes is starting week one or even within the first half of the season, but he'll be involved in plenty of packages.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
I'll be surprised if Waynes is starting week one or even within the first half of the season, but he'll be involved in plenty of packages.

I think he'll be starting by Week 6 (after the Bye).

Thx to Lil Uno!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Left Cornerback - Trae Waynes, Terence Newman and Josh Robinson will be in for a tough battle for the starting job. Will Waynes impress from day one to start or will Zimmer lean on the vet Newman?

let's discuss this Unknown, since it's already starting up.

when will Waynes become the starter? how quick will he learn? will Zimmer want him fully ready, or thrown in to the pool?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

let's discuss this Unknown, since it's already starting up.

when will Waynes become the starter? how quick will he learn? will Zimmer want him fully ready, or thrown in to the pool?

The reason why I said he'll likely start come Week 6 is because Zimmer is a perfectionist when it comes to defensive play and I do think it'll take a little time for Waynes to get down what Zimmer wants and expects. Therefore, I expect Robinson to be starting through the Broncos game, at which point Waynes will have done enough to surpass Robinson and begin starting. Then, I think Robinson will fall into what I believe will be his role through the rest of his career, as the primary backup to both Waynes and Rhodes.

As I've said from the start, I don't expect Newman to even be on the team come Week 1.

Thx to Lil Uno!
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Locke continue to be on the bottom third of punters? If so, will they have tryouts during the season, or continue to ride with him?

Plus all the other ones.....already mentioned. LG and LT being the biggies, imo, for their success (as I like the D).
Dan Smith BYU

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Will Locke continue to be on the bottom third of punters? If so, will they have tryouts during the season, or continue to ride with him?

Plus all the other ones.....already mentioned. LG and LT being the biggies, imo, for their success (as I like the D).

Anyone who sent Kluwe packing was a win in my books. However its time to find some competition for him. Locke reminds me of Kluwe the punter.
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:

Yes. Punter, at this point is an unknown. Locke needs to improve both distance and directional punting. As explosive as Green Bay and Detroit are offensively (and maybe even Chicago) giving them extra yardage due to poor punting is putting extra pressure on the defense, which plays a lot of young players.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, this entire team is an unknown.

There isn't a single position group that is a sure thing. All of the players that improved last year, we are waiting to see if they'll revert or continue to improve.

Even this team's best player, Adrian Peterson, is an unknown because we don't know what kind of shape he'll show up in. If he shows up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: