Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Not Josh-ing Around Anymore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Not Josh-ing Around Anymore Reply with quote

I thought that Josh Robinson deserved a thread of his own to talk about his improvement. He definitely is being used in a much better manner outside of a zone defense and only on the outside. The INT at the end of the game is nice stat padding. So was it just a learning curve against higher competition, let's face it he didn't come out of a big school? Or has coaching made that much of a difference?

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited to see Josh Robinsons development. He has a ways to go but he has had a tough slate of games to begin the season. 2 ints and solid coverage in four games looks nice. I wonder when Munnerlyn get demoted to backup/nickel.
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good example why you should give rookies 3 years before assessing them. It is hard to know if he just finally "gets it" or if it is the scheme change that has caused the improvement.

Either way, it will be awesome if he can develop into a solid starting CB and push Munnerlyn down to #3 and slot-only.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Part of Robinson's good year has been the reduced snaps. He's played half as many snaps as our top two corners.

He's fresher for every snap, so I'm not so sure I want to pull a quick trigger and move him up the depth chart.
french t0ast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, Josh, as of week 4 has the 4th highest PFF coverage grade of cornerbacks.

He is also allowing a passer rating of 18.5 thrown his way, best of all corners.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
This is a good example why you should give rookies 3 years before assessing them. It is hard to know if he just finally "gets it" or if it is the scheme change that has caused the improvement.

Either way, it will be awesome if he can develop into a solid starting CB and push Munnerlyn down to #3 and slot-only.

This isn't always the case for every rookie. It seems one can typically get good production out of young cbs. The three year rule truly applied to Robinson as he was very young and raw when drafted.
Krauser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly what we were hoping he would do this year, given more coaching and development time and a chance to play outside. He was so bad last year that I didn't think he could do it, very happy to be proven wrong.

He's showing much better ball skills and is excelling at mirroring routes even deep downfield. The two longer catches he gave up (both in the Saints game) were more mental errors about zone responsibilities than failures of what he was trying to do physically in coverage. And as far as I remember, he doesn't have a single defensive holding penalty or DPI call.

I'm inclined to credit the coaches but Robinson's youth is probably a major reason why he's improved this year.

Robinson (b. Jan/91) was 21 years old as a rookie in 2012. He started 6 games and had 2 INTs. That's really impressive at that age.

Here's the list of comparables -- CBs/DBs in the PFR database since 2000 who started 5+ games and had 2+ INTs as a 21 year old rookie, sorted by youngest age: http://pfref.com/tiny/9kNRu
1. Vontae Davis
2. Chris Gamble
3. Joe Haden
4. DeAngelo Hall
5. Tyrann Mathieu
6. Patrick Peterson
7. Josh Robinson
8. Sean Taylor
9. Earl Thomas

That's good company.

Robinson was still the 4th youngest player on the team last year, and is still one of the youngest players actually getting heavy playing time this season (Bridgewater, Barr, Patterson, and Floyd are the only starters younger than him). He's 1-2 months older than rookies Exum, Stephen and Watts, and is actually younger than Austin Wentworth.

Who else on the current team might take a slower developmental course because of youth?

Sharrif Floyd (b. May/92) was 21 years old as a rookie in 2013 (an even younger rookie than Robinson, Floyd was only 20 on his draft day). He's still the 3rd youngest player on the team, younger than all this year's rookies except Bridgewater and Jabari Price.

I think Floyd's improved quite a bit this year, even if he's still not as disruptive as he needs to be, and still struggling to finish plays.

I was discouraged last year at the difference between his mediocre rookie season and Kevin Williams' dominant performance as a rookie in 2003, but it's worth noting that Williams was 23 when his rookie season started -- the age Floyd will be starting his 3rd season in 2015.

The comparison between Floyd and Sheldon Richardson was another sore point, as Richardson had a great rookie season. But then, Richardson was born in Nov/90, and turned 23 during his rookie year -- he's 2.5 years older than Floyd.

Developmental curves are something I'm used to thinking of more in terms of the NHL -- players have draft+1 and draft+2 years, etc, and hardly ever play in the pros until they've had a couple of years to develop their games. The NFL is different in that players tend to get drafted at a wider age range, yet are expected to play as starters within their first or second year.

It's a point that's worth keeping in mind. Some of the players we talked about drafting in the mid-rounds this year to potentially replace Robinson as a developmental CB -- Keith McGill (b. Mar/89), Pierre Desir (b. Sept/90) and Stanley Jean-Baptiste (b. Apr/90) -- are actually older than Josh Robinson is. Doubt any of those guys would be as far along this year.
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh is a good example of what good coaching can do for a player.
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had given up on josh and hes made me look silly for it like was stated above hes looked fresher with less snaps and an 18.5 QBR vs him speaks for itself hope he can keep it up

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

"No! try not! Do or do not. There is no try.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least through four games, Robinson, the team’s third cornerback, has allowed just six receptions for 68 yards in coverage on 14 targets, according to Pro Football Focus. He has a pair of interceptions, too. Quarterbacks have a paltry passer rating of 18.5 when targeting Robinson.

http://blog.startribune.com/sports/access-vikings/1027

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: