Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post FA Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbens06

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Post FA Mock Reply with quote

Cap
The cap is set at $155,270,000. Green Bay has $11,641,031 in available room including all rollover money. This cap space is what I have current through March 20th.

Already Done
Mason Crosby
Lane Taylor
Letroy Guion
Chris Banjo (ERFA)
Nick Perry
James Starks

Retained
Right now, no one that hasnít already been mentioned above.

Not Retained
Mike Neal- I know they say we are still interested in Neal even after signing Perry, but unless Neal comes very cheap I just donít see it happening. I would assume after the $5 Perry got Neal will want a similar amount, which at this point I feel more inclined to let him walk and roll the dice with a rookie/Elliot as that 4th option.
James Jones- Jones was great to get in a pinch, but with a health Nelson and Montgomery, I donít think the roster space is there for him.
Andy Mulumba- Mulumba has ran hot and cold and at this point its easy to move on from him.
Don Barclay- This one is tough for me, as Barclay has been an ok right tackle backup, but was terrible when they experimented him at left tackle. I think that with Taylor back and Tretter on the roster the inside value isnít there and I think they will move on from Barclay at the start, maybe bring him back later into free agency if nothing materializes.
Casey Hayward- I think that Hayward might actually want to move on more than us. We have Randall and Rollins in the wing to pair with Shields and can still drop Hyde down into the slot for a solid 4 corner set. I think Hayward will want the opportunity to start, or at the minimum the opportunity to be penciled in as a starter.
Sean Richardson- Injuries unfortunately will end his career.
Andrew Quarless- Quarless was hurt most of this year. I think the Packers still like his skill-set and everything, but I think they will wait to sign him at the least.
Scott Tolzien- I think Tolzien has a chance, and even a good chance to come back and at worse be a camp cut, but for cap reasons and faith in Hundleyís development he is allowed to walk.
John Kuhn- I like Kuhn and think he has more value than most like to admit, but at this stage of his career and with a younger option on the roster we say goodbye.
BJ Raji- I think Raji shocked a lot of people with his decision.
Justin Perillo (ERFA)- Not a bad depth guy, but not irreplaceable.
Brett Goode- Honestly I can see Goode both ways. He was solid for us for his tenure here, but Lovato didnít do anything that was too bad and is already signed.

Free Agency
Jared Cook TE LA Rams- Cook is an athletic tightend that can do a lot more for us in the passing game than Rodgers has to offer. MM said that his knowledge of the game, just talking Xs and Os, was very good. Problem has been Cook has never really translated that or his top level athleticism onto the field. He has shown flashes of what he could be during a game or a stretch of games, but he has been wildly inconsistent. Regardless, the tools and athleticism are there for him to succeed in this offense and for him to help this offense be more dynamic. Signed a 1 year $3.6 million deal. For cap purposes I will take it all off this yearís cap just to be safe, so cap goes down by $2.75 million to 8,891,031

Draft

Projected salary cap for our picks is about $5,500,000 Cap goes down by $5,500,000 to $3,391,031. Cap space will go up as each draft pick signs and another lower contract comes off the books.

Compensatory picks: We got 2 fourth round picks for House and Williams.

1. AíShawn Robinson DT 6í4 307lbs Alabama
Big, strong defensive lineman that can move too. He has the strength to easily win one-on-ones and the power and anchor to take on and shed double teams. He can easily clog the line and be a force against the run. Uses his length well to create space between him and the defender to allow him to make plays. Does a good job at pursuing down the line and is a sure tackler. Has the power to push the pocket, but not an elite pass rusher by any means. He is very raw here still, but with his size, quickness and strength he shows potential in this area, it just hasnít come through enough. Consistency is what he needs to work on. He has all the boxes checked as a defensive lineman, but he doesnít always put it together. With Guion back, Robinson can be a five tech for us and be someone that helps our run defense. He is a good two gap defender that will do a lot of dirty work to keep our linebackers clean and free to make plays. He also can take some pressure off of Daniels by commanding more attention because of his shear power at the point of attack. His pass rush isnít elite, so he might not be ideal for a lot of 2 DL sets, but his power and anchor force teams to double him, so I think he can be a good compliment in the 2 DL sets to the more pass rushers like Daniels.

2. Hunter Henry TE 6í5 250lbs Arkansas
I know this might seem like a stretch for some to think he would be here, but last year Maxx Williams, who I think was a better prospect coming out, fell to pick 55. Henry is another guy that has the speed and athleticism to stretch the middle of the field that MM wants to attack. He has good, natural hands (although he struggled some at the combine) to catch the ball cleanly and easily. He does not look like he is pressing or forcing anything out there. He does a good job at creating mismatches with linebackers or safeties. He can be used all over the field, inline, slot or outside. Good after the catch and will make plays as a runner, both with agility and power. He is an experienced blocker and shows good potential here to continue to develop and be an all-around tightend. His blocking still needs work, but it is farther along than most and shows a lot to build on. With Cook on a one-year deal this gives Henry a year to develop and adjust to the NFL speed. I think he can contribute right away as a pass catcher and be someone that we can use in the slot and stretch the middle of the field.

3. Beniquez Brown LB 6í1 229lbs Mississippi State
Brown was someone that TT reportedly really liked at the Shrine game. He plays with good speed and does a good job at dropping into coverage. Coverage wise, he seems to be able to drop into zones nicely and did a solid job at picking up guys and running with them. Size limitations are there and once he gets locked on he doesnít shed the guy too well, which can cause him to get washed out of plays easily. He was used as a rusher and shows good speed and burst when attacking, but again if the defender locks on he doesnít show much shed/counter move ability to attack. With that said, he will keep fighting and trying to get after the quarterback, but just not always able to disengage. Special teams play is a plus. More of a situational player right now for us; someone that can take over the dime and coverage packages and hopefully develop as someone that can play either next to or in a rotation with Ryan and Barrington.

4A. CJ Prosise RB 6í0 220lbs Notre Dame
Prosise is still developing as a runner and learning some of the nuisances of the position, but there is a lot of potential there. As a runner, he has surprisingly good vision and open field ability. He does a good job hitting holes and making guys miss in the open field. Good speed and can take it the distance anytime he touches the ball. Still needs to learn how to set up blocks and let things develop a little more and he needs to take care of the football, especially with MM as his coach, but the skill-set is there. Plus, he is a good receiving threat out of the backfield and you can split him out too. I think that his style and skills would complement Lacy nicely and give us a different kind of back.

4B (Compensatory). Caleb Benenoch OL 6í5 311lbs UCLA
Drafting more on potential and pieces of his game than the sum of everything. He has good length, feet, agility and plays with good bend most of the time. However, he doesnít always use these things to his advantage. Much more of a sit back and mirror the guy type of tackle than a take a to you type when pass blocking. Almost like he doesnít want to overcommit and whiff on a block so he more waits and reacts. A good athlete and was able to do that in college, but will need to develop and get away from that at the next level. Better run blocker than pass blocker, but has the tools to be a solid pass blocker. Position flexibility, as he has kicked in to guard at times throughout his career. Someone that offers us potential at 4 spots, can be a swing tackle on game days and can slide inside if need be. Someone that has the tools to be a starter in the league, if he puts it all together. Might have a better shot inside for us than outside at LT, but with Lang and Sitton both up after this season a year to develop, get stronger and put everything together would be a good thing.

4C (Compensatory). Victor Ochi EDGE 6í1 246lbs Stoney Brook
The size isnít elite, as he is shorter than you desire, but he has longer arms for a guy his size to help make up for the lack of height. Ochi plays with a good motor and good pursuit. He has a good burst off the edge and can turn the corner when rushing. He does rely on his speed a lot and he isnít someone that is elite at running the arch, but he shows the ability to get off the ball quickly, dip and turn the corner to rush the passer. He primarily worked out of a 3-point stance, but he did rush the passer from a 2-point stance too. I actually think he looked more comfortable and better coming out of a 2-point stance than a 3 point. Right now, as he continues to add strength and adjust to the competition of the NFL he will be a situational rusher that has the speed off the edge to rotate in and help keep guys like Matthews, Perry and Peppers fresh.

5. Stephen Weatherly EDGE 6í4 267lbs Vanderbilt
Weatherly is a tall, long player on the edge. He has experience as an EDGE guy. He has played in space and coverage and looks fairly comfortable doing that. He does seem to be thinking too much out there and not just reacting and playing, which causes him to be caught off-guard and miss plays. He does a good job at anticipating the snap, over anticipates more than you would like, but usually is not late coming off the ball. Does a good job at getting his hands up and blocking passing lanes. Not an elite rusher, but someone to develop and rotate in.

6. Ken Crawley CB 6í0 187lbs Colorado
Good size, good speed and good length to match up with faster receivers and taller receivers. A little on the leaner side and might not matchup too well with overly physical receivers.

7. Mike Matthews OC 6í2 294lbs Texas A&M
Might as well add another Matthews. Tretter is up after this year and we lack a guy that can rep inside at C if he leaves. Matthews isnít the biggest, but he has good technique and has started a lot of games. Someone that might be just a center backup, but probably can at least rep and learn guard to be an inside swing guy if Tretter is gone after this year.

Depth Chart
Offense
QB: Rodgers, Hundley
RB: Lacy, Starks, Prosise
FB: Ripkowski,
WR: Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, Abbredaris
TE: Cook, Rodgers, Henry, Backman
OT: Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Benenoch
OG: Sitton, Lang, Taylor
OC: Linsley, Tretter, Matthews
Offense Total: 25
Defense
DE: Jones, Daniels, Robinson, Boyd
NT: Guion, Pennel
OLB: Matthews, Peppers, Perry, Ochi, Elliot, Weatherly
ILB: Barrington, Ryan, Brown, Palmer
CB: Shields, Randall, Rollins, Crawley, Goodson
S: Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Hyde, Banjo
Defense Total: 25

K: Crosby
P: Masthay
LS: Lovato
Special Teams Total: 3
Team Total: 53

***After the draft class is signed I think the actual costs will be about $3 million cheaper than the $5,500,000 slated for us, so the cap space goes up to $6,391,031***

Last edited by rbens06 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm secretly hoping for A'Shawn Robinson more than any other player in this draft. He looks like the big angry type of intimidating defensive lineman this team has been lacking (except for Daniels). Plus, he just turned 21 years old, so he won't even be 22 throughout the season.

He's absolutely my favorite player that could realistically be available when we pick.

Granted, I don't do any scouting or anything. And I would love to read Palmy's opinion on him.
SE500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it likely Robinson, Henry, and Prosise all go before you have them but as you alluded to stranger things have happened.

I also think we end up with 2 QB's and 6 WR's but think we likely carry only 3 TE's. I also think Kuhn will be back.

Pennel will start the year off the roster and Perry will be on it (and I think a serious contributor).

I do not like Ochi as much as you do, and apparently you like Palmer better than I do.

One of Gunter or Daniel will make the team I would bet, and also would bet we carry 10 DB's.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do not like Hunter Henry. He's not that strong, he's not that fast. He played in a system that favored the TE because the other receivers were crap. I think we can get Prosise later as well as Ochi who I really don't think would fit our scheme. I think he's a bit too Nick Perry. Nice to see someone else warm up to Weatherly. Meh on the rest except for Robinson.
rbens06

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
I'm secretly hoping for A'Shawn Robinson more than any other player in this draft. He looks like the big angry type of intimidating defensive lineman this team has been lacking (except for Daniels). Plus, he just turned 21 years old, so he won't even be 22 throughout the season.

He's absolutely my favorite player that could realistically be available when we pick.

Granted, I don't do any scouting or anything. And I would love to read Palmy's opinion on him.

I like Robinson a lot too, I think he can add a mean streak to the D and help make the run D good. I think that with some more polished prospects ahead of him he has a shot to be there.
rbens06

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SE500 wrote:
I think it likely Robinson, Henry, and Prosise all go before you have them but as you alluded to stranger things have happened.

I also think we end up with 2 QB's and 6 WR's but think we likely carry only 3 TE's. I also think Kuhn will be back.

Pennel will start the year off the roster and Perry will be on it (and I think a serious contributor).

I do not like Ochi as much as you do, and apparently you like Palmer better than I do.

One of Gunter or Daniel will make the team I would bet, and also would bet we carry 10 DB's.

I get that on those three, they all might be gone much earlier, but all have questions that could make them last.

I think a guy like Backham, Rodgers or Henry could be used as a FB in some sets, so unless we do sign Kuhn, which I can see happening, I think we go 4 TE. If Kuhn is signed I can see Backham gone.

Yep, accidentally put Neal not Perry on the depth chart, fixed that. I know Pennel is out 4 games, but season long I think he makes it.

Orchids I think is a one trick pony right now and see him as a different rusher than most of what we have. He seems to use that burst of his well and pins his ears back a goes. A different rusher with some upside is what I was going for. Palmer is someone I think that can do more than Thomas, so he gets the edge.

Gunter is my next man up to make it. I like his potential and development last year. I can see him being Pennel's spot for 4 weeks then deciding what to do then.
rbens06

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
I really do not like Hunter Henry. He's not that strong, he's not that fast. He played in a system that favored the TE because the other receivers were crap. I think we can get Prosise later as well as Ochi who I really don't think would fit our scheme. I think he's a bit too Nick Perry. Nice to see someone else warm up to Weatherly. Meh on the rest except for Robinson.

I see Henry a little different I guess. I think he has good speed, 4.6 range and yes he might not be the strongest, but we take home for his receiving skills not his blocking. He will need to get stronger to be a better blocker, but catching he is good to go. I see his system as very unfriendly to him. He was is a pro-style run first offense. Yes he didn't have elite WR with him, but run firsts offense and being a TE limited him more than what most TEs are.

I see Ochi as having a better burst than Perry and offer a quicker rush than Perry. I see Ochi predicate his rush off of speed and burst whereas Perry seems to be more power.
Acrid Josher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worry about Robinson's mental maturity, athleticism, pass rush, and fit in our defense. Not sure he gets plus marks on any of those, and as such I'd be very reluctant to pick him in r1.

I only watched two games of Brown a long time ago, but really did not see anything that would make me want to take him that early. Notes have him as undersized, not a great tackler (fixable), and not a standout in any one area. I don't think that's worth a 3rd in this draft at a non-premium. There are so many interchangable depth ILBs in this draft (Matakevich, Martinez, Goodson, Morrison, Wright, Vigil, Brothers) at a similar tier that don't differentiate themselves. I'd be pretty confident you could snag that depth/project early or later on day 3.
rbens06

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acrid Josher wrote:
I worry about Robinson's mental maturity, athleticism, pass rush, and fit in our defense. Not sure he gets plus marks on any of those, and as such I'd be very reluctant to pick him in r1.

I only watched two games of Brown a long time ago, but really did not see anything that would make me want to take him that early. Notes have him as undersized, not a great tackler (fixable), and not a standout in any one area. I don't think that's worth a 3rd in this draft at a non-premium. There are so many interchangable depth ILBs in this draft (Matakevich, Martinez, Goodson, Morrison, Wright, Vigil, Brothers) at a similar tier that don't differentiate themselves. I'd be pretty confident you could snag that depth/project early or later on day 3.

I think Robinson gets a plus in athleticism for a guy his size. Mental maturity is something you can kind of only guess on since we don't get to talk to him, but I don't see anything that leads me to seriously question it. Pass rush I won't argue on, he doesn't show it and that is a negative on him. I think he can push a pocket and disrupt a backfield, but can he rush will be a question he needs to answer or at the least an area he needs to develop.

I agree that Brown might be a little early and that there are similar tiered guys, but not similar style of play tiered guys. I think he is a tick above most/all the guys you mentioned when it comes to athleticism and coverage/dropping into space. I think we definitely could snag one of those guys later, but not sure they could give us the same role, if that makes sense? For example, I think Matakevich might similarity tiered, as you mentioned, but I don't think he will be as good in coverage or dropping into space like Brown can. This is not to say that Brown is elite in coverage or anything, but just someone that can do it better than that second tiered guys.
Frank-O

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acrid Josher wrote:

I don't think anyone who drafts Robinson is drafting him for his athleticism or pass rush. He's definitely a run defender first and has proven to be damn good at it. But for a big man he has some wiggle and has also proven to penetrate and push the pocket.

As far as his mental maturity, sure he's young (aren't most rookies?) but Nick Saban has said that he is a great leader both in the locker room and on the field. And it's not like he's got any major red flags off the field.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
Acrid Josher wrote:

I agree that Brown might be a little early and that there are similar tiered guys, but not similar style of play tiered guys. I think he is a tick above most/all the guys you mentioned when it comes to athleticism and coverage/dropping into space. I think we definitely could snag one of those guys later, but not sure they could give us the same role, if that makes sense? For example, I think Matakevich might similarity tiered, as you mentioned, but I don't think he will be as good in coverage or dropping into space like Brown can. This is not to say that Brown is elite in coverage or anything, but just someone that can do it better than that second tiered guys.

I'm curious, where did you find rankings on Brown? CBSsports has an undraftable grade on him, as an OLB. Walterfootball has him as their 2nd ILB, with a 2nd-3rd round grade. NFL.com has him ranked as their 220th or so ranked player, which would be a 6th or 7th rounder.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acrid Josher wrote:

^This. I don't see how Kentrell Brothers is a 2nd round pick with a 4.9 40 for a guy who is only 6' 245. I like some of those guys on Day 3 like Vigil and Kwiatkowski. They were solid, productive, long-term starters in college. No reason to think they couldn't provide quality snaps at the next level, even if their max output is as a rotational LB.

Also, to address Henry again. We drafted DJ Williams as a pass catching, H-back style TE in the same mold as Henry. How'd that work out?
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time that I see an Alabama player that I want the Packers to take I remember this:

Laughing

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Skypilot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike Neal- I know they say we are still interested in Neal even after signing Perry, but unless Neal comes very cheap I just donít see it happening. I would assume after the $5 Perry got Neal will want a similar amount, which at this point I feel more inclined to let him walk and roll the dice with a rookie/Elliot as that 4th option.

You're forgetting they moved Datone Jones to the Elephant role last season, previously occupied by Neal. Perry also fills that role, when he wasn't being outplayed by Neal. So, with the assumed move of CM3 outside, Jones and Perry outside as well as Peppers and Elliott why draft two EDGE prospects? Thompson has failed over and over again with the mid-round edge types (Palmer, Bradford, Jeremy Thompson.) And, it's obvious Capers wants size outside with converted 4/3 tackles/ends like Neal, Jones (who played all along UCLA's front, yet been a big disappointment) and Perry. And, they can always re-sign Neal on the cheap.

Also, Barclay was not OK at RT. He was bad. He, like Tretter, was an abomination at LT. It got so bad they had to move Sitton to LT for a game. They need a legit OT in the worst way and you addressed that. Just not impressed with "a better run blocker than pass blocker." Don't want a repeat of Barclay, Tretter or Newhouse at OT.
Acrid Josher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
Acrid Josher wrote:

I think Robinson gets a plus in athleticism for a guy his size. Mental maturity is something you can kind of only guess on since we don't get to talk to him, but I don't see anything that leads me to seriously question it. Pass rush I won't argue on, he doesn't show it and that is a negative on him. I think he can push a pocket and disrupt a backfield, but can he rush will be a question he needs to answer or at the least an area he needs to develop.

Robinson is in the 11 percentile (lowest 11%) of NFL athletes of his size according to SPARQ, which compares athletes by body type.

In the explosion drills Robinson measured similar or worse to most of the guys heavier than him- Reed, Hargrave, Collins, Billings, Clark, Butler, Jones Reader, and Valentine. Pretty much the only bigger DTs at the combine he scored noticeably better than were Chris Mayes, Nile Lawrence-Stample, Antwaun Woods, and Austin Johnson. I just don't see him as a plus explosion athlete at this point, which is a problem only compounded by his tendency to often be slow off the LOS.

My concerns with his mental maturity are his almost complete lack of developing good technique in a number of areas (hand useage, pass rush moves, playing low) after two years of playing under arguably the best defensive coach in college football. I need someone with all the warts of Robinson to show any sign he can learn and adapt with coaching before I'm comfortable taking him in r1.

Acrid Josher wrote:

rbens06 wrote:

I agree that there are stylistic differences between all the players I mentioned, but I'd argue they are either tradeoffs or so minute as to be almost trivially from a draft value perspective. If you want guys that are good in space and tested as better athletes in relevant space drills (3-cone, SS) plus are bigger and more explosive you've got your pick of Vigil, Goodson, and Bond. Martinez and Brothers also both tested better in COD at better weights, though weren't clearly better in explosion.

Tape is harder to compare since my notes are old and all those guys are such mixed bags, but few of those guys, including Brown, stood out as plus guys in space. Vigil is the only one that I thought was noticeably smoother than he others. He'd be a guy I'd target in the mid rounds for that purpose, but even he isn't really projected as a 3rd by most.

I'll say this isn't an area I feel especially confident in so far removed from watching them, but I do think the testing shows that Brown isn't anything special for an NFL athlete in space, and he didn't warrant any special marks as a pass coverage or space player from me when I watched him initially. That plus the position he plays would just make he skeptical or a r3 value.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: