Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Draft 1.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Mock Draft 1.0 Reply with quote

Just thought I'd give my hand at a draft I'd be interested in.

Resigned: Raji, Guion, Cobb, Bulaga, Barclay, Richardson

Free Agents:
Brandon Spikes | ILB | 6-2, 255, 27 years old | 3 years, 9.3 million, 3.75 million guaranteed
This puts him in the DeMeco Ryans/Perry Riley/Wesley Woodyard territory in terms of guaranteed. I don't think it's particularly crippling and it instantly provides competition at a position that is frighteningly thin.

1.30 traded to Cleveland for 2.43 and 3.77.

2.43 • Eli Harold | Virginia | EDGE | 6-3, 247 lbs
Harold immediately becomes our third best pass rusher behind Peppers and Matthews. I'm of the opinion you can never have enough of these guys and I think Harold has an excellent chance to be a special player. Great burst, lanky frame, and quick and agile enough to be able to succeed in space given a year or two.

Unlike Perry, Harold makes complete sense at this slot and in this draft that isn't particularly top-heavy. Harold falls to 43, much like Lacy, and Thompson adeptly moves to a spot in which he hopes Harold will land. He does, and Dom Capers suddenly has a superb athlete to work into some of his nickel/rush packages. Further, with Neal and Perry being up in the air in 2016, Harold solidifies the position for the near future. Best case scenario is he plays ~40-50 percent of the defense's snaps, records ~5-7 sacks, and becomes the player we expect huge things from in 2016.

I also would love Johnson at 1.30, but I'm thinking he goes just before we have the chance to take him. Other guys I'd like are Goldman and Brown, but they're almost certainly gone.

2.62 and 4.129 traded to Philadelphia for 2.46

2.46 • Byron Jones | Connecticut | CB | 6-1, 199 lbs
4.40, 12'3" broad jump, great ball skills, and excels in press coverage. Thompson knows the value is in these early rounds, and much like when he traded around to nab Hayward and Worthy, he takes a similar approach this April. Jones has the talent to press Hyde for time and could conceivably be our nickel corner behind Hayward/Shields while Hyde remains our dime corner and perhaps our second or third most versatile piece on our team. This may be too late for where Jones actually lands, especially since it's entirely feasible someone has fallen in love with him and he goes top 35. I have problems giving up the fourth rounder, but I think it's a fair trade for both sides and allows Philadelphia to build up the bottom of their roster.

3.77 • Alex Carter | Stanford | CB | 6-0, 196 lbs
Physical presence against the run and a capable young player in coverage. I think Thompson falls for him and continues to stock the shelves on the defensive side of the ball, giving us four very young and talented corners with Hyde still operating as a hybrid safety-corner-dime back. Goodson is an unknown commodity and competition at the DB position is a healthy approach given the losses of Tramon and House.

3.94 • Ramik Wilson | Georgia | ILB | 6-2, 237 lbs
Adds a different sort of play-style to pair and compete with Spikes/Barrington/Bradford. More athletic than the guys we currently have in house and adds a body to a definitively weak area. Might be tough to rationalize going D-D-D-D in the first three rounds, but it's even tougher to rationalize a top-100 pick on a WR/RB/OL, even though I'd love to give Aaron another second round receiver.

5.166 • Javorius Allen | USC | RB | 6-0, 221 lbs
I love the Lacy/Starks combination, but Franklin's and Harris' injuries made a pick like this a bit more necessary. Allen "falls" to 166 because of the sheer depth of this class. Good blocker, pro-style offense in college, physical style and by all accounts a high chance of competing for snaps right away and especially in year two.

Rest: You decide... Laughing

Thoughts:
- Defense heavy. Tough to justify a TE if you don't have a ton of confidence in them. Might be able to talk me into one in the 4th or 5th to compete with Quarless for the no. 2 this year (I think RR runs away with the starting gig and turns into a competent receiving/red zone TE).
- Value in a fourth WR with Janis/Abbrederis in house as our potential no. four?
- DL needs to be addressed with Raji/Guion being question marks long-term. I could easily be talked into dropping one of Jones/Carter for another DL, but I'm not sure who.
- Lot of value in the 35-65 range, so I tried maximizing TT's shots here. I do have the urge to mock us Agholor but I know better Sad
- I'd like another OT to compete as our swing with Barclay. I know he's resigned, but I don't feel super comfortable with just Tretter and Barclay off a knee injury.

Be gentle!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm okay with the Spikes signing, not sure the Packers really want that pure thumper style of backer anymore. Feel like we see Barrington as our current thumper. Would provide good vet presence, and an obvious plus player on run downs.
Haven't looked into Harold too much. Based purely off his combine numbers and where you have us taking him I'm more than okay with the pick. Who does he compare to in terms of style?

Love the Jones pick!! Seems to be right around where he's being projected to go currently. Wouldn't be surprised if he went at the tail end of the 1st, has much upside in my eyes as any CB prospect in the draft.

Like the idea of doubling up at the CB position. I'm a fan of Carter's size, I thought I heard somewhere he is more of a zone CB though.

Don't know much about Wilson. Like the position choice, seems to be a good straight-line athlete, played against high level of competition in the SEC. How are his instincts and coverage though?

Have heard good things about Allen. Love the value at this pick. Is he a capable 3rd down back?
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind Spikes, I even think he would be a good fit in this D, but that number is kinda high. There's no premium around the league for that skillset. There's a reason he's still unsigned.

I would be shocked beyond belief if Harold was anything better than the 5th best EDGE guy as a rookie. That isn't a reflection of talent so much as a commentary that we've got some very strong depth and Harold isn't the kind of freak to step off the bus and standout at the NFL level. Even the best ones usually need a year before they figure it out.

Wilson is too high. I know we've had dealings with him, but that's not a top 100 talent.
SE500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it overall. I like the trade very much. I know value rules but I am hesitant to think Harold would be stand alone value at that point, meaning I believe there would be equal or better value at positions of greater need.

Like the CB's you've taken, although prefer one taken sooner that is more game ready. I like Wilson, but again would like an inside guy sooner. Would Thompson sign Spikes and give up a comp pick? Maybe later when he wouldn't have to give up one of the picks we'll get for the two corners we lost.
Skypilot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another draft with no linemen or TE's, but you got the needed RB.

If you sign Spikes, it's not to increase "competition" but to make him the starting thumper over Barrington. Otherwise, there's no point at that price. The Packers will likely address the depth issue in the draft, but already have 5 players on the roster at ILB. They've already improved by finally cutting the ILB chaff. Bradford and Palmer will provide the "competition", while one of Perryman, Anthony, McKinney, Kendricks or ?? are sure to be available in either R1 or R2, depending on how the draft falls, if the Packers are interested.

Same with CB Jones, who has been getting some nice pub lately, but seems like a Hyde clone. Again, not really a need, when you consider both Hayward and Hyde play in nickel/dime situations, and Hyde can swing to FS, if needed. If Hayward moves outside, though, that's a good pick.

Harold is intriguing, considering Peppers, Neal and Perry are all in walk years and Perry hasn't shown much at OLB. Nick belongs at end in a 4/3 and everybody knows it. He's not close to athletic, durable or consistently motivated enough to have future at OLB. That doesn't mean GB won't resign him, of course. They have accepted mediocrity or worse in resigning their high defensive picks like Raji, Neal and Hawk. Although, Nick isn't exactly a locker room leader/respected teammate like the the like BJ and AJ.

With CM3 now in a hybrid role, the so-called depth at OLB past 2015 is an illusion. GB always has a bevy of tweeners (Jeremy Thompson, Perry, Elliot, Hubbard, Mulumba, Palmer) they are vainly developing in the hope somebody will actually turn into James Harrison at OLB. They've come up snake eyes the past six years.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skypilot wrote:
Another draft with no linemen or TE's, but you got the needed RB.

I know right?

The worse pick is Ramik Wilson. Dude has no tackling technique and you're basically drafting another Jamari Lattimore. Blown pick.
Polaris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skypilot wrote:
Another draft with no linemen or TE's, ...

I can totally understand this. We took Rodgers with a 3rd round pick last year and the Packers will see if he makes the jump this year and takes charge of the starting position. Quarless will be a FA at the end of the season and it'll be next year that the Packers look to spend a premium pick on a TE. In the meantime, I think they're very comfortable going with Rodgers/Quarless/Perillo this season.

Linemen. As regards defensive linemen, we have two NTs under contract, Jones, Boyd, Daniels, and Thornton under contract, and Pennell and Gaston under contract. In that we only keep six or seven on the roster and only activate 5 on gameday, the only reason we'd take a DL is to put him on the practice squad, or to replace one of the top 5 under contract. I don't think that'll happen.

Offensive line: Again, all five starters return plus backups Tretter and Barclay. We've got two young centers, Gerhardt and Madsen on the roster. Adams and Vujnovich on the roster. We're already at the point where we'll be cutting some of the young talent we have and any lineman we'd take would be just another practice squad guy at this point.

We'll take a CB early, an ILB early, and if a good OLB presents himself, we'll take him. I suspect we'll see a WR in the midrounds. Any TE will be on the last day and it'll be his skill as a special teams guy that gets him on the roster instead of the practice squad.

XXXXXXXXXX

I actually like the Jones pick, mostly because we traded down and got him. There are several CBs that should be available after #40 like Williams, Rollins, Jones......trade down and take the one that's there. And I very much like the trade up in the second round, but I'd take either Anthony or MCKinney there and be happy that I addressed my two biggest needs by the middle of the second round without reaching for anybody.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
Quarless will be a FA at the end of the season and it'll be next year that the Packers look to spend a premium pick on a TE. In the meantime, I think they're very comfortable going with Rodgers/Quarless/Perillo this season.

Not so fast my friend, there will almost certainly be a TE pick this year and it might be a premium pick if we don't like what's on the board. Maxx Williams or Clive Walford might be our pick at 62...

Polaris wrote:
I suspect we'll see a WR in the midrounds.

We've just resigned Cobb, Abbrederis is coming back, and Janis made some headway late in the season last year. Why would be throw another WR in the mix when we're solid. In fact, we gave up on Kevin Dorsey who made the most of his chances when he was healthy last year. That speaks volumes to our staff's confidence in who we currently have. We have far greater needs than a depth chart upgrade at WR.

Polaris wrote:
I actually like the Jones pick, mostly because we traded down and got him. There are several CBs that should be available after #40 like Williams, Rollins, Jones......trade down and take the one that's there. And I very much like the trade up in the second round, but I'd take either Anthony or MCKinney there and be happy that I addressed my two biggest needs by the middle of the second round without reaching for anybody.

There will be a huge run on ILB's and CB's this year. Historically, runs on those two positions have come in the 2nd round as well; even if 1st round talent is still on the board.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
Polaris wrote:
Quarless will be a FA at the end of the season and it'll be next year that the Packers look to spend a premium pick on a TE. In the meantime, I think they're very comfortable going with Rodgers/Quarless/Perillo this season.

Not so fast my friend, there will almost certainly be a TE pick this year and it might be a premium pick if we don't like what's on the board. Maxx Williams or Clive Walford might be our pick at 62...

A lot of people might be our pick at 62 Laughing

But in all seriousness...do you see TE as a "need" position in this offense? Aaron has always favored WRs, and unless we get another Finley-type athlete, I'm not sure what the point of it is. We are potentially 5 deep at WR, have a back that can catch the ball, and Richard Rodgers showed enough in year 1 to make you think you might have a competent starter there.

If TE is BVA in Round 1 or 2, I think we go that route. I just don't see it being best value that high in the draft for this team.

As for the mock draft. I'd love it if that's how the first two picks shook out. Both some of my favorite prospects in the draft. I'd be OK with Carter there too, good size.

I'm not a fan of Wilson, especially when you pick up Spikes. Same type of player IMO. But I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum with ILB. I'm favoring guys like Kendricks and Heeney to pair with Barrington. I feel Spikes and Wilson would be people to REPLACE Barrington. I'm not sure either is better at this point than him though.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
do you see TE as a "need" position in this offense? Aaron has always favored WRs, and unless we get another Finley-type athlete, I'm not sure what the point of it is. We are potentially 5 deep at WR, have a back that can catch the ball, and Richard Rodgers showed enough in year 1 to make you think you might have a competent starter there.

If TE is BVA in Round 1 or 2, I think we go that route. I just don't see it being best value that high in the draft for this team.

Walford or Williams would clearly be BVA at 62. Walford is the closest thing to Finley in this draft unless you're counting Funchess as a TE. Keep in mind we only have 3 TE's going into this year's camp and one of them was Practice Squad material last year and another will be a FA after the year. It might not be the most popular pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if we went with Anthony/Kendricks at 30 and then went TE at 62; especially if McKinney's off the board by that time.

blankman0021 wrote:
I'm not a fan of Wilson, especially when you pick up Spikes. Same type of player IMO. But I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum with ILB. I'm favoring guys like Kendricks and Heeney to pair with Barrington. I feel Spikes and Wilson would be people to REPLACE Barrington. I'm not sure either is better at this point than him though.

Wilson is my anti-draft crush in this draft and like Spikes, he's a bit slow for my taste. However, Wilson is incredibly soft in the run game, he's slow, he's an arm-tackler, and despite his agility he's terrible in coverage which scouts have cited on numerous occasions. Wilson is just another 4-3 OLB in this draft with over-inflated numbers because of how bad his teammate was.

I would agree that Kendricks and Heeney would be the better routes to go in pairing someone with Barrington, but I think we might be a little more keen on Anthony and McKinney with the edge going to Anthony at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed someone like Heeney in the later rounds and paired that person with a thumper type ILB who either fell out of the draft, or someone we could slot in at ILB to take on that role.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: