You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kowalski Chat
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diezjabronie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Kowalski Chat Reply with quote

http://highlightreel.blogs.mlive.com/default.asp?item=414294

Quote:
In the draft the Lions want players like Wisconsin tackle Joe Thomas, Clemson defensive end Gaines Adams, or a middle linebacker, according to Tom Kowalski on WDFN-AM Detroit.

Quote:
Q: John Clayton said the Lions want to move down to grab LSU QB JaMarcus Russell. Is it too early to say that?

A: I heard that report and almost fell out of my chair. I think the one position they won't draft is a quarterback, according to everything I've heard.

The Lions have to keep an open mind just in case someone emerges as a special player at a position you don't need. But at this point they're not looking at a quarterback. Absolutely not. They want to move down a couple slots to get a (Clemson defensive end) Gaines Adams or (Wisconsin offensive tackle) Joe Thomas. They want to build in the trenches or at middle linebacker. They don't want (Georgia Tech wide receiver) Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, or a quarterback.

Quote:
Q: Why no talk about the Lions taking Ohio State QB Troy Smith? I think it would be a mistake to not take Adrian Peterson since Kevin Jones is injury prone.

A: I don't know where the Kevin Jones hatred comes from. I think you're wrong. All running backs get banged up from time to time. The way he runs he's going to get some nicks. If you look at his career, even in college, he's durable.

It's not that they don't like Peterson, they just have a lot of holes. In regards to running backs, no one is talking about Brian Calhoun anymore. If you took a running back in the third round, you'd think he'd be able to carry the load while Jones is out. He obviously can't since they're not considering him. Looks like they may have blown that pic, too.

Well, that answers a lot of questions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you posted that. Great find. It's nice to see that the lions seem to be looking to start building the team in the right places. I'm glad we aren't targeting a QB, but I didn't expect them to. It's nice to know that they aren't looking at AP, but they have always been extremely high on KJ so I'm not surprised. Calvin Johnson is a great reciever, but it would be hard to continue to draft at a position where we have continued to fail to scout with success.
Spectre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read for the Lions, I'll probably adjust my mocks accordingly. Thanks for posting it.
WCLF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killer doesn't know anymore then any of us.
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCLF wrote:

And why would he? It's not like he has contacts all throughout the organization that he talks to on a regular basis. Oh, wait...
WCLF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
WCLF wrote:

And why would he? It's not like he has contacts all throughout the organization that he talks to on a regular basis. Oh, wait...

Killers track record speaks for itself, the guy is almost always wrong.

Just for argument sake how does he know what they are targeting in the draft 4 days after the season ended. The Lions don't even know what they are targeting at this point. Yes they have some positions in mind but they haven't seen the players work out or got to talk to any of them.
LionsRoar17

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that Diez. Alot of big questions were answered that everyone was wondering.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving what they're looking for. Hopefully we could trade down a few spots and still get Joe Thomas (unlikely) and then a solid linebacker could fall to us in round to. I'd like to see Buster Davis and Ernie Simms leadin on our team on D, just because they're former teammates.
LionsFan#1Pick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0town12 wrote:
Loving what they're looking for. Hopefully we could trade down a few spots and still get Joe Thomas (unlikely) and then a solid linebacker could fall to us in round to. I'd like to see Buster Davis and Ernie Simms leadin on our team on D, just because they're former teammates.

Both undersized, hard-hitting, tough FSU LBs. I think Millen wants to bring an element of toughness to this team, so he'd be a pretty good 2nd round pick if he fell to us.
m0town12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan#1Pick wrote:
m0town12 wrote:

Both undersized, hard-hitting, tough FSU LBs. I think Millen wants to bring an element of toughness to this team, so he'd be a pretty good 2nd round pick if he fell to us.

Heck, i'd love for us to take a shot at Odell Thurman to play MLB for us. I like the way Marinelli is thinking.. things need to start with Offensive Lines and D toughness. He might not be the greatest coach but I think he can bring a better mentality to our team.
Go Lions???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope this is true.

DRAFT PATRICK WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!

I am willing to forgive Millen for EVERYTHING if he gets this guy.
LionsFan#1Pick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Lions??? wrote:

If he traded down, I'd agree. 2nd overall is too high to take Willis though and I don't think he'll slip to the second.
Oades88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan#1Pick wrote:
Go Lions??? wrote:

If he traded down, I'd agree. 2nd overall is too high to take Willis though and I don't think he'll slip to the second.

I think Willis would be a great pick too, but we'd need to trade down to atleast the 10 spot or lower for this pick to make sense.

Personaly, I'm worried the Lions might be in AWWW of G.Adams if he has a great pro-day, but he looked average at best in the bowl game.
qball8001

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Me Willis this year and Brohm next year.

I would not mind taking Willis at number 2.

He is the best ILB in this draft.
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCLF wrote:
Laimbrane wrote:
WCLF wrote:

Killers track record speaks for itself, the guy is almost always wrong.

Just for argument sake how does he know what they are targeting in the draft 4 days after the season ended. The Lions don't even know what they are targeting at this point. Yes they have some positions in mind but they haven't seen the players work out or got to talk to any of them.

Well, he's wrong insofar as the Lions are usually wrong about what they're going to do.

The Lions, like most teams, have been targetting guys for several years. Their scouting department has been busy at work putting together preliminary profiles of all of these college players. Have they had the opportunity to work them out? No. Have they had the opportunity to talk to each of them? Not officially. But pro scouts can and do talk to college players throughout the season, and the scouts also compile a lot of film footage and expert analysis of every player the Lions are looking at. That they have yet to finalize that analysis goes without saying. But it would be foolish of them to keep every option open; if they've eliminated Calvin Johnson and all of the quarterbacks from consideration, then they've freed up their time to do more in-depth analysis of other players that they feel that they would be more interested in.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: