You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kowalski Chat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Harrington is da man


Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Posts: 7666
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not forget Paul Posluszney played ILB for Penn St. this year... I'd rather have Willis, just saying. By the way, a lot of you thought I was crazy for wanting Gaines Adams. Pshh...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harrington is da man


Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Posts: 7666
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan#1Pick wrote:
Go Lions??? wrote:
I really hope this is true.

DRAFT PATRICK WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!

I am willing to forgive Millen for EVERYTHING if he gets this guy.


If he traded down, I'd agree. 2nd overall is too high to take Willis though and I don't think he'll slip to the second.


Patrick Willis will not fall past the Rams... It would be best to draft him 2nd overall.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
qball8001


Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 7934
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could always roll the dice with Poz in the second round.
_________________
Lions are completely inept.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harrington is da man


Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Posts: 7666
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
We could always roll the dice with Poz in the second round.


His draft stock may have dropped, but he will not make it to the 2nd round. He's the 2nd best LB regardless, and in my mind he will be drafted by the Panthers in the 1st round.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WCLF


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 181
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
WCLF wrote:
Laimbrane wrote:
WCLF wrote:
Killer doesn't know anymore then any of us.


And why would he? It's not like he has contacts all throughout the organization that he talks to on a regular basis. Oh, wait...


Killers track record speaks for itself, the guy is almost always wrong.

Just for argument sake how does he know what they are targeting in the draft 4 days after the season ended. The Lions don't even know what they are targeting at this point. Yes they have some positions in mind but they haven't seen the players work out or got to talk to any of them.


Well, he's wrong insofar as the Lions are usually wrong about what they're going to do.

The Lions, like most teams, have been targetting guys for several years. Their scouting department has been busy at work putting together preliminary profiles of all of these college players. Have they had the opportunity to work them out? No. Have they had the opportunity to talk to each of them? Not officially. But pro scouts can and do talk to college players throughout the season, and the scouts also compile a lot of film footage and expert analysis of every player the Lions are looking at. That they have yet to finalize that analysis goes without saying. But it would be foolish of them to keep every option open; if they've eliminated Calvin Johnson and all of the quarterbacks from consideration, then they've freed up their time to do more in-depth analysis of other players that they feel that they would be more interested in.


Free agency changes everything.

I know they have been scouting players and yes they have scouting reports on a lot of them but the point is they haven't even started working on their draft board so how does Killer know what they are targeting?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Laimbrane


Joined: 04 Mar 2005
Posts: 3987
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCLF wrote:

Free agency changes everything.

I know they have been scouting players and yes they have scouting reports on a lot of them but the point is they haven't even started working on their draft board so how does Killer know what they are targeting?


If the Lions or any team hasn't started to narrow down who they're targetting, then they're dumber than any of us thinks they are. It's a matter of resources - if you own the team are you going to spend 30 man-hours exmaning a punter from Texas Christian University? No, for a number of reasons. Hence, you have already started constructing your draft board, if only in your head.

As silly an example as that is, it applies in general - you need to prioritize who you're going to spend the offseason examining. You don't have unlimited resources to work with in your pursuit, so you have to make decisions early in order not to waste any of the four months you have. Are you okay with Kitna as a starter and Orlovsky down the road? If you are, then you need to avoid putting any more resources into scouting Quinn and Russell, since that's just wasted time and money. The same goes for Calvin Johnson.

In fact, my guess is that this is exactly what happened with Mike Williams - the Lions didn't scout him enough because they figured that there would be no way he'd fall to 10. Then, when the draft came they went solely by what was generally known; had they scouted him they would have found out what other teams ahead of them had discovered - that the people who knew him knew that he was lazy - and they would have gone with Johnson or Merriman. They learned this lesson last year when they went with Sims - Leinart fell, but they weren't all that interested because they had spent time checking into Sims' injury and criminal history - time that they might not have had had they spread their resources on guys not expected to fall like Leinart and Cutler.

You have to prioritize your needs early, because an unfocused offseason and draft means that you're going to be taking guys that you don't want or guys that you don't know enough about. From what I've read, they don't plan on bringing in any big free agents - a smart decision because no quality free agent is going to want to come here for fair value anyway - and thus they will be going into the draft looking for upgrades at the positions that need upgrading right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firemillenman


Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 673
Location: DeWitt, Michigan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Post. The Lions hopefully learned their lesson by taking Sims and not the sexy pick of Leinart and Sims did a lot better with the Lions than Leinart would have. I still think the Lions should pick Joe Thomas, but if you can trade down and get Patrick Willis and a few extra pick, that would be great too.
_________________

Thanks Keato for the awesome sig!

FIRE MILLEN!!!
And Thank God He Gone!!!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
LionsFan#1Pick


Joined: 24 Nov 2006
Posts: 1348
Location: Central Michigan University
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrington is da man wrote:
LionsFan#1Pick wrote:
Go Lions??? wrote:
I really hope this is true.

DRAFT PATRICK WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!

I am willing to forgive Millen for EVERYTHING if he gets this guy.


If he traded down, I'd agree. 2nd overall is too high to take Willis though and I don't think he'll slip to the second.


Patrick Willis will not fall past the Rams... It would be best to draft him 2nd overall.


No, it wouldn't be best. He's not a top 5 talent. We'd be better off drafting Joe Thomas and hoping Buster Davis out of FSU falls to the second round, like many think he will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheBadGuy


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 31
Location: Northville,MI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
WCLF wrote:
Killer doesn't know anymore then any of us.


And why would he? It's not like he has contacts all throughout the organization that he talks to on a regular basis. Oh, wait...


Some of "Killers Nugets of wisdom over the years"

2005 Preseason- "The Lions will be 9-7"

2006 Preseason- "C'mon guys, I just told you: 20-wins in two years. What are you doing?!"

April 06'-The Lions draft board is up and basically finalized and now the team is going through a series of mock drafts to prepare for any scenario during Saturday's draft. The Lions are targeting A.J Hawk with the ninth overall pick but, if he's gone, they'll go after Michael Huff. If Huff is gone, the Lions will make every attempt to trade down

April 06'-What is clear, though, is that the Lions are getting a three-in-one deal with Calhoun. Not only can he be a backup running back and kick returner, but because of his excellent pass receiving skills, he could be used in the slot position.


You see, the man is a sports writer, not Nostrdamus.
_________________
Give me a Lions Super Bowl Victory, and I will burst into tears-Me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheBadGuy


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 31
Location: Northville,MI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
WCLF wrote:

Free agency changes everything.

I know they have been scouting players and yes they have scouting reports on a lot of them but the point is they haven't even started working on their draft board so how does Killer know what they are targeting?


If the Lions or any team hasn't started to narrow down who they're targetting, then they're dumber than any of us thinks they are. It's a matter of resources - if you own the team are you going to spend 30 man-hours exmaning a punter from Texas Christian University? No, for a number of reasons. Hence, you have already started constructing your draft board, if only in your head.

As silly an example as that is, it applies in general - you need to prioritize who you're going to spend the offseason examining. You don't have unlimited resources to work with in your pursuit, so you have to make decisions early in order not to waste any of the four months you have. Are you okay with Kitna as a starter and Orlovsky down the road? If you are, then you need to avoid putting any more resources into scouting Quinn and Russell, since that's just wasted time and money. The same goes for Calvin Johnson.

In fact, my guess is that this is exactly what happened with Mike Williams - the Lions didn't scout him enough because they figured that there would be no way he'd fall to 10. Then, when the draft came they went solely by what was generally known; had they scouted him they would have found out what other teams ahead of them had discovered - that the people who knew him knew that he was lazy - and they would have gone with Johnson or Merriman. They learned this lesson last year when they went with Sims - Leinart fell, but they weren't all that interested because they had spent time checking into Sims' injury and criminal history - time that they might not have had had they spread their resources on guys not expected to fall like Leinart and Cutler.

You have to prioritize your needs early, because an unfocused offseason and draft means that you're going to be taking guys that you don't want or guys that you don't know enough about. From what I've read, they don't plan on bringing in any big free agents - a smart decision because no quality free agent is going to want to come here for fair value anyway - and thus they will be going into the draft looking for upgrades at the positions that need upgrading right now.


Actualy there has been a great deal of talk regarding Simeon Rice and his ties to Rod Maranelli, so DE may not be as glaring a need as some think. As far as Joe Thomas goes, can you say Aaron Gibson?? And lastly there is a HUGE difference between picking Number 2 and number 10, and when you're 3-13 and as bad as the Lions are all around they'd be foolish to not look at every position, except WR, and take a look at the best player available because chances are, whoever that guy is, he plays a position that we have nobody worthy of playing today.
_________________
Give me a Lions Super Bowl Victory, and I will burst into tears-Me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
qball8001


Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 7934
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killer may write garbage, but he is the only true inside link to the orginzation.
_________________
Lions are completely inept.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Laimbrane


Joined: 04 Mar 2005
Posts: 3987
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBadGuy wrote:

Some of "Killers Nugets of wisdom over the years"

2005 Preseason- "The Lions will be 9-7"

2006 Preseason- "C'mon guys, I just told you: 20-wins in two years. What are you doing?!"


Oh, so he's a bad reporter because his predictions were wrong?

Quote:

April 06'-The Lions draft board is up and basically finalized and now the team is going through a series of mock drafts to prepare for any scenario during Saturday's draft. The Lions are targeting A.J Hawk with the ninth overall pick but, if he's gone, they'll go after Michael Huff. If Huff is gone, the Lions will make every attempt to trade down


And this is false information because...

Quote:

April 06'-What is clear, though, is that the Lions are getting a three-in-one deal with Calhoun. Not only can he be a backup running back and kick returner, but because of his excellent pass receiving skills, he could be used in the slot position.


Again, a prediction. Not only that, but a prediction that has neither come true nor turned out to be false.

Quote:

You see, the man is a sports writer, not Nostrdamus.


I never said he was. In fact, that's one of my biggest beefs with Killer-haters - all they want is a Nostradamus. They want predictions that they can hold sports-writers accountable for. They want guess and prognostications, when those are just that - guesses and prognostications.

If you're smart, you look to what Killer says and filter out his guesswork in order to find out what's really going on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WCLF


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 181
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
WCLF wrote:

Free agency changes everything.

I know they have been scouting players and yes they have scouting reports on a lot of them but the point is they haven't even started working on their draft board so how does Killer know what they are targeting?


If the Lions or any team hasn't started to narrow down who they're targetting, then they're dumber than any of us thinks they are. It's a matter of resources - if you own the team are you going to spend 30 man-hours exmaning a punter from Texas Christian University? No, for a number of reasons. Hence, you have already started constructing your draft board, if only in your head.

As silly an example as that is, it applies in general - you need to prioritize who you're going to spend the offseason examining. You don't have unlimited resources to work with in your pursuit, so you have to make decisions early in order not to waste any of the four months you have. Are you okay with Kitna as a starter and Orlovsky down the road? If you are, then you need to avoid putting any more resources into scouting Quinn and Russell, since that's just wasted time and money. The same goes for Calvin Johnson.

In fact, my guess is that this is exactly what happened with Mike Williams - the Lions didn't scout him enough because they figured that there would be no way he'd fall to 10. Then, when the draft came they went solely by what was generally known; had they scouted him they would have found out what other teams ahead of them had discovered - that the people who knew him knew that he was lazy - and they would have gone with Johnson or Merriman. They learned this lesson last year when they went with Sims - Leinart fell, but they weren't all that interested because they had spent time checking into Sims' injury and criminal history - time that they might not have had had they spread their resources on guys not expected to fall like Leinart and Cutler.

You have to prioritize your needs early, because an unfocused offseason and draft means that you're going to be taking guys that you don't want or guys that you don't know enough about. From what I've read, they don't plan on bringing in any big free agents - a smart decision because no quality free agent is going to want to come here for fair value anyway - and thus they will be going into the draft looking for upgrades at the positions that need upgrading right now.


Do you honestly think that if the Lions have already started working on their draft board they would let killer know anything? By telling him, knowing he will report it, they are basically telling the other 31 teams what they want. Not going to happen. Again killer doesn't know anymore then any of us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bucky


Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 14369
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lions probably don't have a good idea what their draft board is going to look like, all the bowls aren't finished, the senior bowl hasn't been played, the combine hasn't happened yet.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Barry Sanders


Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 5213
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCLF wrote:
Laimbrane wrote:
WCLF wrote:

Free agency changes everything.

I know they have been scouting players and yes they have scouting reports on a lot of them but the point is they haven't even started working on their draft board so how does Killer know what they are targeting?


If the Lions or any team hasn't started to narrow down who they're targetting, then they're dumber than any of us thinks they are. It's a matter of resources - if you own the team are you going to spend 30 man-hours exmaning a punter from Texas Christian University? No, for a number of reasons. Hence, you have already started constructing your draft board, if only in your head.

As silly an example as that is, it applies in general - you need to prioritize who you're going to spend the offseason examining. You don't have unlimited resources to work with in your pursuit, so you have to make decisions early in order not to waste any of the four months you have. Are you okay with Kitna as a starter and Orlovsky down the road? If you are, then you need to avoid putting any more resources into scouting Quinn and Russell, since that's just wasted time and money. The same goes for Calvin Johnson.

In fact, my guess is that this is exactly what happened with Mike Williams - the Lions didn't scout him enough because they figured that there would be no way he'd fall to 10. Then, when the draft came they went solely by what was generally known; had they scouted him they would have found out what other teams ahead of them had discovered - that the people who knew him knew that he was lazy - and they would have gone with Johnson or Merriman. They learned this lesson last year when they went with Sims - Leinart fell, but they weren't all that interested because they had spent time checking into Sims' injury and criminal history - time that they might not have had had they spread their resources on guys not expected to fall like Leinart and Cutler.

You have to prioritize your needs early, because an unfocused offseason and draft means that you're going to be taking guys that you don't want or guys that you don't know enough about. From what I've read, they don't plan on bringing in any big free agents - a smart decision because no quality free agent is going to want to come here for fair value anyway - and thus they will be going into the draft looking for upgrades at the positions that need upgrading right now.


Do you honestly think that if the Lions have already started working on their draft board they would let killer know anything? By telling him, knowing he will report it, they are basically telling the other 31 teams what they want. Not going to happen. Again killer doesn't know anymore then any of us.


I think Killer knows more then you think.
_________________

O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group