You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patrick Willis.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which defensive player would you like to see the Lions draft?
Patrick Willis
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
Gaines Adams
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Paul Posluszny
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Cason/Hall/McCauley/Revis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Landry/Nelson
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Alan Branch
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Other
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 21

dom4prez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Patrick Willis..... Reply with quote

~Patrick Willis~ I know he's not "projected" until the middle of the first round but do you think there is any chance the lions can pick him up? He won the Butkis award this year (top linebacker). Look how high A.J. Hawk went last year and he didn't even win it. Ohh, and did I mention this kid was named defensive player of the year in the SEC (with all those tough/fast defenses with their studs i.e. Landry, Nelson, Siler). Apparently he missed the award last year by only one vote. And guess who won it..........DeMeco Ryans.

How many teams would have drafted DeMeco higher if they knew he would lead the league in solo tackles? He wasn't projected until later in the 1st round. If Patrick has this kind of ability I'm sure he would be worthy of a #2 pick if we can't get any trades. Besides once he tears it up at the senior bowl and at the combine he'll probably jump up the draft boards (I'm just not sure how high). I've heard a few comparisons to Ray Lewis (possibly a little premature...but who knows...) If he is comparable I would hate to let him slip through our fingers.

Marinelli likes those high motor guys with football character. I've read this kid has great character. He has a huge heart and plays "like his hair is on fire." We could use a MLB or even an upgrade at SLB! (6'2", 230 lbs 4.5-4.7 40 time).

What do you guys think?.....What are the chances Willis will be our 1st round pick? (could be nasty with him and Ernie side by side)
WCLF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we trade out of the top 5 then I think he has to be the guy. If we stay at #2 there is no way they take him.
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're considering trades, the player I'd most love to see them get would be Justin Blalcok in the middle of the first round, since H.B. Blades would be just as good as Willis but available in the late-first early second.
Go Lions???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think trading down to #6 and drafting Willis would be a huge reach. The lions might get critisized for it early on, but if he ends up being a Ray Lewis type impact player, those critics will shut up. They'd probably end up praising the lions for the pick.

I'm not making any guarentees, but I truely think Patrick Willis will be something very special. I will be shocked if he dosn't go to a few probowls.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen Willis play, but i've heard lots of good things about him. It woudl be ncie to draft another impact player at the linebacker position. It would give us a young core that we would have for years to come.

Didn't Teddy Lehman win the Butkus award?
Bucky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lehman did win the Butkus award, but remember he had injury concerns coming out of college which is why he fell to the second round i believe?

I love Patrick Willis, i think MLB is the biggest need on our team, Paris Lenon is our starting MLB!!!!! From the scouting reports i have read on Willis he is able to play MLB or OLB. All i hear is good about this guy and i would love to draft him, whether it be at number 2 or if we trade down.
LionsFan#1Pick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Take Joe Thomas and hope Buster Davis out of FSU falls to the second round like rumored. Davis and Willis are very similar players with the major difference being Willis' "prototypical size."
Bucky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Lions don't take Willis I'd rather see them wait until round 3 and take Harris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah if we can get Willis with the 5th, 6th or 7th pick I'd be fine with that. He is projected to go between the 10-15 spot, so it a bit of a reach but not to bad, and if he can sure up our MLB position it would be perfect. If we draft him and he plays OLB I'd be disapointed. I think Sims, Willis and Bailey/Lewis will make a sick LB core.
Harrington is da man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky wrote:
If the Lions don't take Willis I'd rather see them wait until round 3 and take Harris

David Harris? He does not fit this defensive scheme. He is nothing more then a run stuffer; he can't cover to save his life... He's much like Earl Holmes and he wasn't resigned because he didn't fit the defense (he was old too, that didn't help)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weaknesses on HB Blades "Sub par in coverage" So HB Blades doesn't fit our scheme
Weaknesses on Buster Davis "Struggles to match up and doesn't make plays in coverage"
Weaknesses on David Harris "Looks stiff in coverage"
Weaknesses on Patrick Willis "Adequate in coverage but nothing special"

I guess none of the top 4 ILB's have the cover skills we need

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about moving down to draft Paul Pos to play MLB?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky wrote:
Weaknesses on HB Blades "Sub par in coverage" So HB Blades doesn't fit our scheme
Weaknesses on Buster Davis "Struggles to match up and doesn't make plays in coverage"
Weaknesses on David Harris "Looks stiff in coverage"
Weaknesses on Patrick Willis "Adequate in coverage but nothing special"

I guess none of the top 4 ILB's have the cover skills we need

I remember when the Lions drafted Teddy Lehmen and the TV guys said he's be a Pro-Bowler in 3 years, and that Alex Lewis will be a practice squad player... Things don't always work out how they are supposed to. I think Willis fits our scheme and Coach Barry can work with him to become a great MLB!
Bucky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Willis as well, i just threw him in there to make a point. HDM said that Harris doesn't fit our scheme so i was just proving a point that there aren't any top MLB's this year who excell in coverage.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky wrote:
I want Willis as well, i just threw him in there to make a point. HDM said that Harris doesn't fit our scheme so i was just proving a point that there aren't any top MLB's this year who excell in coverage.

That doesn't prove anything. Did I say any ILB fit are scheme? David Harris will not wear a Detroit Lions uni, I can guarantee it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: