You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DetroitLionsGM Offseason Scenario V.3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DetroitLionsGM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: DetroitLionsGM Offseason Scenario V.3 Reply with quote

Lions Re-sign
WR Mike Furrey 4 yrs / $16m

Lions Re-sign
DT Cory Redding 5 yrs / $22m

Lions Sign Free Agent
OG Eric Steinbach 6 yrs / $34m

Lions Sign Free Agent
DE Simeon Rice 2 yrs / $6m

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Trade #4 ovr, #36 ovr to Detroit Lions for #2 ovr.

Houston Texans Trade #8 ovr, #40 ovr to Detroit Lions for #4 ovr.

Round 1
Lions Select
MLB Patrick Willis OLE MISS

Round 2
Lions Select
OT Joe Staley CMU

#36 (From TB)
Lions Select
CB Daymeion Hughes CAL

#40 (From HOU)
Lions Select
OG Ben Grubbs AUB

Round 3
Lions Select
WR Steve Smith USC

Round 4
Lions Select
RB Lorenzo Booker FSU

Round 5
Lions Select
QB Chris Leak FLA

#138 (From MIA)
Lions Select
DE Mkristo Bruce WASH ST

Round 6
Lions Select
OLB Quincy Black NEW MEX

2007 Depth Chart

OFFENSE

QB - Jon Kitna
RB - Kevin Jones/Lorenzo Booker
FB - Cory Schlesinger
WR - Roy Williams
WR - Steve Smith
WR - Mike Furrey
OT - Jeff Backus
OG - Eric Steinbach
C - Dominic Raiola
OG - Damien Woody/Ben Grubbs
OT - Joe Staley/Jon Scott

DEFENSE

FS - Daniel Bullocks
SS - Kenoy Kennedy
CB - Daymeion Hughes
CB - Dre' Bly
OLB - Boss Bailey
MLB - Patrick Willis
OLB - Ernie Sims
DE - Kalimba Edwards/Simeon Rice
DT - Shaun Rogers
DT - Cory Redding
DE - James Hall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furry said the only way he resigns in Detroit is if he is the #2 WR.

If they draft Staley he will be nothing but a back up. Neither him or Backus can play RT. You need a mauler over there and neither one of them is that.

I like what you have for the most part but don't count on both of those trades happening. They will be lucky to get one trade back. Trading back is a lot harder then people realize, especially when you have a top 5 pick.

No thanks on Leak and Booker. Those picks could be used for OLine depth, a bigger weakness.
Kiper Jr. Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good signings, and i like the draft, you have us picking up a stud linebacker and some o line help. i like it

Many Thanks to miafins23, for graciously letting me use this sweet sig
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after spending $16 million on four free agents (two of which are already on the Lions' team), you now have $14 million to spend on those free agent signing bonus allocations as well as the remaining 13 open slots to fill. Good luck.
Go Lions???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be an amaizing offseason. But the double trade down is pretty unlikely.

I love the P Willis pick, as I have said many times.

I like but don't love the Staley pick. Yes it addresses the Oline, but he seems very similar to Jon Scott. Which IMO is not a bad thing because I like Scott. but if we have JS we don't need Staley.

I really like the Hughes pick. He's perfect for the deffense, and he's got great intangibles.

I really like the Grubbs pick. He's very athletic and can easily develope into a very good LG.

I think Steve Smith will be available in the fourth. But I wouldn't mind picking him here. He's underrated and can develope into a very reliable #2.

Booker will not be available in the fourth. Worst case he'll be a second round pick. I think even the first round is not out of the question. Why? for a few reasons. The RB class is TERRIBLE this year. besides Lynch and Peterson there really are no other great prospects. Booker will have an amaizing combine and proday and be picked earlier than everyone thinks. trust me.

I don't like the Leak Pick...he just isn't good and probably won't get better. I just don't see the point.

Bruce is solid value in the fifth round. I feel like he'll be a good not great player.

I don't know too much about Quincy Black. But he has put up some good stats and could develope into a solid SLB.
MattMillen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think you can just throw out a statement like that about lorenzo booker and the RB class. in 99, edge and ricky williams went 4-5 and no other RB was taken in the first round. in 03 it was only mcgahee and larry johnson in the first round. it is entirely conceivable that only one or two RBs get taken in the first round this year.

besides, what teams even need a RB? green bay, ny giants, and cleveland?

if booker goes in the first round, i will laugh my [inappropriate/removed] off.
Bucky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a double trade is pretty much impossible. If this offseason truly happens it would be sick...Good except for Chris Leak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.... Not sure about the Steve Smith or Chris Leak picks though. I don't think Furry will get 4 million a year but I could be wrong. I was think he'll get a 3 year deal worth 9 million or 4 year @ 12 million, but still there close. The only reason I say this is because he had ONE good season. I'm not saying we shouldn't re-sign him because we should. I think Redding might get more than $22 million too, but again not the point. I would be pleased if things worked out how you have them.
Dionosys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell ya, I've been liking Willis a lot. He fits what the Lions are doing.

Everyone is right tho, trading back twice is near impossible. But Houston is a very intriging trade partner. They could do one of 3 things. Draft AP and move Dominiak Williams, Draft JT and make the worst Oline in the nfl better, or if Quinn drops to #2 pick him up and move on from the David Carr experiment.

Carr gets shafted tho, i'm surpised the guy can still walk upright with as many hits he's taken in 5 years. Now if Houston were to move up for Quinn, we could actually see the #8 a 3rd and a 1st next year. JT and AP might be really good, but as someone said a few days ago, next year 1st rounders are usually reserved for QBs.

I have 2 problems with your FA class, #1 Rice is not a good investment.

#2 Steinbach is a huge contract for someone that is surrounded one of the top 2-3 Olines in football. I think he will benefit from the elite group he plays with, but he's not even the 2nd best lineman on that team. I don't think he's worth that much. I'd be open to signing him, but he's not LeCharles Bentley. He is an OG he doesn't play both OG/C. Also you're drafting a 1st day OG, you could just keep Woody for one more year and plug Grubs into the LG spot and work on the RG spot another time. Main thing is to get 3 guys in a row that can block and open some holes, buy the qb some time.

I think Furrey will be 4 years 14 million
Redding will be 4 years 18 million.

If Woody is cut then I suppose that if you did go after steinbach that 6 years 27 million would be as high as i'd pay.

As whether or not they have the cap space, Verba is a team option so if they don't pick it up he doesn't count against the cap, Woody would be a wash, he has like a 6 million roster bonus and a 6 million cap charge. Tucker/Stokes I'm not sure if they are signed beyond this year.

But even after 3 signings they should have 20+ million for bonus' allocations, draft picks, and other roster spots.

Your draft is solid, although I love Staley, there are valid arguments against him.
Go Lions???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattMillen wrote:
i don't think you can just throw out a statement like that about lorenzo booker and the RB class. in 99, edge and ricky williams went 4-5 and no other RB was taken in the first round. in 03 it was only mcgahee and larry johnson in the first round. it is entirely conceivable that only one or two RBs get taken in the first round this year.

besides, what teams even need a RB? green bay, ny giants, and cleveland?

if booker goes in the first round, i will laugh my - off.

This is true, and I didn't say he'll go first round I said it wasn't out of the question, but he'll probably be a second rounder. After he has a brilliant combine he'll emerge as a top 5 ball carrier and go 2nd round. My point was, he won't be available in the fourth.
Bucky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Draft AP and move Dominiak Williams

I'm assuming you mean Dominack Davis?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky wrote:
Quote:
Draft AP and move Dominiak Williams

I'm assuming you mean Dominack Davis?

nope, he changed his last name to Williams.
ReSims07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: DetroitLionsGM Offseason Scenario V.3 Reply with quote

Just a few notes on your draft scenario...

I absolutely love the Mkristo Bruce pick, as I think he could be a very valuable pass rusher as he had 11 sacks and 16 tfl's this year. Signing Simeon to come and help some of these young guys would be very wise.

Joe Staley at 34 would be a slight reach, he needs a lot of work, but does have the potential to be a solid tackle.

Daymeion Hughes and Ben Grubbs would be very solid additions to this team as both would fit the system.

What puzzles me are the Smith, Booker, Leak picks. All are flawed, while talented, yet with the draft deep in positions of greater need such as the OL or CB/Defense, we should be able to add more depth.

Although the double draft down is unrealistic, I won't bash you on the fact that trading down in the first place is the smart thing to do. Nice offseason.
Harrington is da man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think were going to select Joe Staley, you might as well have us stay put and select Joe Thomas. These two guys are not RT's, not to mention Rod really likes Jon Scott.

Also, Daymeion Hughes will not fall out of the 1st round.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about Staley, he doesn't bring anything to the team. He is an undersized athletic LT who can play nowhere but LT. Hughes could fall into the second round to us easily, I don't expect him to be taken in round 1.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: