You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If you were Millen who would u pick
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy_11_Williams

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: If you were Millen who would u pick Reply with quote

I want THomas
Bucky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a smaller avatar Laughing

And either Gaines Adams or Patrick Willis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Gains Adams can be as good as people are predicting him to be (like a Dwight Freeney) than I'd select him, but He'd have to blow me a way at the combine after his poor performance at his bowl game. I really like Patrick Willis as a player and the fact the MLB is a huge need for the Lions, but he's more likely to be taken around the 10 spot. OL is an obviouse need too and I think Thomas is an upgrade from Backus, but than you have to wonder if Backus can handle to pounding at RT, if in fact Thomas takes the LT position!

But if we can't move down and are stuck with the number two selection I'd choose Adams or Thomas, but it would still be a toss-up between them.
WCLF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they stay at #2 overall and he is there Brady Quinn is the only option. If he isn't there they need to do whatever it takes to trade back and take Willis.

You can want Thomas all you want but he will not be a Lion. Backus is the LT making $40 million and he can't play RT. You don't draft a RT #2 overall and pay him $55 million. Not to mention nobody even knows if he can play RT.[/u]
Bucky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say JaMarcus goes number 1...What would be wrong with reaching for a player to fill a need? I'm talking about Patrick Willis, he is projected to go between 9-13. MLB is our biggest need IMO. I'd rather reach for Willis than take a player at a position we don't really need like CJ or Adams if we sign Simeon. I don't like drafting a LT when we already have one making 40 mil, it doesn't give us an over paid line with players playing positions out of position.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCLF wrote:
If they stay at #2 overall and he is there Brady Quinn is the only option. If he isn't there they need to do whatever it takes to trade back and take Willis.

You can want Thomas all you want but he will not be a Lion. Backus is the LT making $40 million and he can't play RT. You don't draft a RT #2 overall and pay him $55 million. Not to mention nobody even knows if he can play RT.[/u]

Other then the fact most of the Lions writers and insiders say it's either Thomas or Adams?

If i'm Matt Millen I need to win now. Calvin Johnson scares me, because of my history of drafting high WR's. I don't want to draft a QB, because I don't have time to let him develop and see the outcome. The #1 option in my mind is to trade down from #2, but if there is no trade down option I need to decide between Gaines Adams or Joe Thomas.

Gaines Adams would most likely make the biggest impact right away, but Joe Thomas has the bigger upside. I think if Joe Thomas impresses enough at the senior bowl, he's the pick. Otherwise Gaines Adams is his man.

but right now I would say Joe Thomas.

O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Bucky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add in there that we sign simeon rice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry Sanders wrote:
WCLF wrote:

Other then the fact most of the Lions writers and insiders say it's either Thomas or Adams?

If i'm Matt Millen I need to win now. Calvin Johnson scares me, because of my history of drafting high WR's. I don't want to draft a QB, because I don't have time to let him develop and see the outcome. The #1 option in my mind is to trade down from #2, but if there is no trade down option I need to decide between Gaines Adams or Joe Thomas.

Gaines Adams would most likely make the biggest impact right away, but Joe Thomas has the bigger upside. I think if Joe Thomas impresses enough at the senior bowl, he's the pick. Otherwise Gaines Adams is his man.

That is the biggest problem with most Lions fans, they listen to the local media way too much. Most of those guys don't know anymore then any of us and are guessing just like we are.

I hate to tell you but OLineman take just as long if not longer to develop then a QB. It is very rare when you get a guy like D'Brickashaw Ferguson that can step right in and play well. Thomas isn't even close to the talent level of Ferguson so what makes you think he will help this team out immediately?

Gaines Adams isn't going to help out that much either. We already have a one dimensional DE that they just resign for way more then he was worth.

So if your statement of Millen needs to win now comes true he will in fact draft Calvin Johnson and not Thomas, Quinn, or Adams. That is if they stay put at #2 overall. A WR is one of those position that can step right in on day one and make an impact.
TheBadGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take Russel, but the questions was who'd you take if you were Millen, so, if I were Millen I'd take Calvin Johnson.lol
Barry Sanders

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCLF wrote:
Barry Sanders wrote:
WCLF wrote:

That is the biggest problem with most Lions fans, they listen to the local media way too much. Most of those guys don't know anymore then any of us and are guessing just like we are.

I hate to tell you but OLineman take just as long if not longer to develop then a QB. It is very rare when you get a guy like D'Brickashaw Ferguson that can step right in and play well. Thomas isn't even close to the talent level of Ferguson so what makes you think he will help this team out immediately?

Gaines Adams isn't going to help out that much either. We already have a one dimensional DE that they just resign for way more then he was worth.

So if your statement of Millen needs to win now comes true he will in fact draft Calvin Johnson and not Thomas, Quinn, or Adams. That is if they stay put at #2 overall. A WR is one of those position that can step right in on day one and make an impact.

Joe Thomas is on the same level as D'brickashaw, and he can step out right away. Joe Thomas is a better all around prospect then D'brickashaw, He's not as good in pass blocking but much better in run blocking.

Gaines Adams is actually not one dimensional, hes a excellent pass rusher, but he's not a libaility in run stopping. He might need to add some weight but he's not that bad in the run game.

I'm looking at in Millen's perspective, do you really think Millen can draft another WR in his mind? no he can't.

and you are wrong about a WR being able to step in right away. Most WR's take 3 years to develop. Every position you draft will take time to develop, and this draft has 3 players have abilty to start right away Quinn, Thomas, Johnson.

O o
Sparty On

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think drafting an offensive lineman at #2 is too risky of a pick, look at past drafts, that position doesnt usually work especially for the lions, they just need to trade out and grab a defensive player
Barry Sanders

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparty On wrote:
i think drafting an offensive lineman at #2 is too risky of a pick, look at past drafts, that position doesnt usually work especially for the lions, they just need to trade out and grab a defensive player

no matter who you draft it's going to be a risk. most of the last top lineman were Texas's Mike Williams and Leonard Davis, I understand Gallery is from Iowa. Texas's lineman were much bigger, slower guys, and this seems to be a type of lineman that fail in the NFL. Joe Thomas is not that kind of lineman, he's very mobile and he has great footwork. He's in the mold of Seattle's Walter Jones.

If Detroit can trade down i'm all for it, because we do have Backus and he's a average LT. Trading down is easier said then done though, and I don't really see a team that wants to trade down, unless a team like Cleveland or Houston want Brady Quinn wich I dought.

O o
WCLF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry Sanders wrote:
Joe Thomas is on the same level as D'brickashaw, and he can step out right away. Joe Thomas is a better all around prospect then D'brickashaw, He's not as good in pass blocking but much better in run blocking.

Are you serious? You just lost all credibility with me. D'Brickashaw is a franchise type LT, Joe Thomas is not.

Quote:
Gaines Adams is actually not one dimensional, hes a excellent pass rusher, but he's not a libaility in run stopping. He might need to add some weight but he's not that bad in the run game.

Every player review I have read on him says just that, he is a liability in against the run.

Quote:
I'm looking at in Millen's perspective, do you really think Millen can draft another WR in his mind? no he can't.

I agree he can't draft another WR but if he needs to win now that would be the player he would need. He will have the biggest impact the fastest. Now if he is going to build for the future, and that is the way he needs to think, he will take Brady Quinn. Quinn is the best player at the top of this draft to build a team around. Not Joe Thomas and definitely not Gaines Adams.

Quote:
and you are wrong about a WR being able to step in right away. Most WR's take 3 years to develop. Every position you draft will take time to develop, and this draft has 3 players have abilty to start right away Quinn, Thomas, Johnson.

Charles Rogers was playing very well his rookie year until he got hurt. Roy Williams was playing out of his mind and probably would have been OROY had he not messed up his ankle against the Falcons. Michael Clayton in Tampa Bay made an immediate impact, yes he sucks now but his rookie year he was very good. I can keep going if you would like.

Some WR's do take time but over the course of time in the NFL WR and RB have been two positions that have been able to contribute from day one. OT's and QB are generally position that take time to develop. So if Matt Millen needs to win now he is not going to take Brady Quinn and he definitely isn't going to take Joe Thomas.
Barry Sanders

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCLF wrote:
Barry Sanders wrote:

Are you serious? You just lost all credibility with me. D'Brickashaw is a franchise type LT, Joe Thomas is not.

Quote:

Every player review I have read on him says just that, he is a liability in against the run.

Quote:

I agree he can't draft another WR but if he needs to win now that would be the player he would need. He will have the biggest impact the fastest. Now if he is going to build for the future, and that is the way he needs to think, he will take Brady Quinn. Quinn is the best player at the top of this draft to build a team around. Not Joe Thomas and definitely not Gaines Adams.

Quote:

Charles Rogers was playing very well his rookie year until he got hurt. Roy Williams was playing out of his mind and probably would have been OROY had he not messed up his ankle against the Falcons. Michael Clayton in Tampa Bay made an immediate impact, yes he sucks now but his rookie year he was very good. I can keep going if you would like.

Some WR's do take time but over the course of time in the NFL WR and RB have been two positions that have been able to contribute from day one. OT's and QB are generally position that take time to develop. So if Matt Millen needs to win now he is not going to take Brady Quinn and he definitely isn't going to take Joe Thomas.

Ok... How is Joe Thomas not a franchise LT? I want to hear proven facts that he's not better then D'brickashaw Fergason. Normally i'm a friendly poster and don't call people out on what they know, but have you watched Thomas play enough to get a fiar judgement on his skills or are you going off what you heard over the internet. Joe Thomas is a "franchise calibre" LT, and he's going to be put on the same level as B'rickashaw was last year.

I can name about the same amount of LT's in this draft that contributed in this years draft that you just did WR's. Joe Thomas is the kind of player who can step in right away and play at a high level.

O o
WCLF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry Sanders wrote:
WCLF wrote:
Barry Sanders wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ok... How is Joe Thomas not a franchise LT? I want to hear proven facts that he's not better then D'brickashaw Fergason. Normally i'm a friendly poster and don't call people out on what they know, but have you watched Thomas play enough to get a fiar judgement on his skills or are you going off what you heard over the internet. Joe Thomas is a "franchise calibre" LT, and he's going to be put on the same level as B'rickashaw was last year.

I can name about the same amount of LT's in this draft that contributed in this years draft that you just did WR's. Joe Thomas is the kind of player who can step in right away and play at a high level.

Yes sir I did watch Thomas a lot this year. He was good but I don't see anything special in him. He is nothing close to D'Brickashaw.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: