You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What's the obsession over JaMarcus Russell?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best QB Fit for Lions?
Brady Quinn
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
JaMarcus Russell
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
Brian Brohm
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
Troy Smith
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Drew Stanton
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

Bucky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

osiris wrote:
LION KING wrote:
Its easy for me if the Lions take a quarterback how can you not take the guy with all the Hype we ended up with Harrington but it was Carr who had all the hype we took the 2nd best at the time.

But Quinn is got all the hype hes gets all the talk and hes going to be compared to Mannings coming into the NFL we have to take him if a qb.

ITS QUINN period for qb~

Peyton actually won a few big games. Quinn sucks. He's the most overrated player in the draft. Joey Harrington all over again. The Lions would be much better off drafting another position period.

Didn't Joey make his name in college because of fourth quarter comebacks?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brady quinn has had an NFL-caliber guy coaching him for two seasons. i don't think that should be discounted. just because he was playing with a bunch of ty willingham's recruits, doesn't mean he's [inappropriate/removed].

i think quinn will be good in the NFL, and to compare him to joey is absurd. notre dame runs a pro-style offense already, giving him an advantage over someone like alex smith who has to learn just how to be a pocket passer and not live in the shotgun.

i would rank the big three as follows: brohm, quinn, russell. call me crazy if you'd like. i just don't care much for a guy whose main selling point is his rocket arm. while jeff george and andre ware pump gas, chad pennington and vince young are winning games in the NFL.
LionsFan#1Pick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattMillen wrote:
i would rank the big three as follows: brohm, quinn, russell. call me crazy if you'd like. i just don't care much for a guy whose main selling point is his rocket arm. while jeff george and andre ware pump gas, chad pennington and vince young are winning games in the NFL.

Vince actually has a pretty strong arm, just bad mechanics.
Ice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinn doesn't perform against quality opponents.Look at his record ,it's there in black and white.
Harrington is da man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to see JaMarcus Russel in a Lions uni. It's very unlikely though, as Oakland will probable pick him and he doesn't fit Martz's scheme... But to answer the question, Brian Brohm fits are offense the best and to me is the best all around QB in the draft, I would still rank Russel ahead of him as he is the better athlete; but, Brohm is the all around QB.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrington is da man wrote:
I would really like to see JaMarcus Russel in a Lions uni. It's very unlikely though, as Oakland will probable pick him and he doesn't fit Martz's scheme... But to answer the question, Brian Brohm fits are offense the best and to me is the best all around QB in the draft, I would still rank Russel ahead of him as he is the better athlete; but, Brohm is the all around QB.

When was the last time Al Davis took a first round QB...
MattMillen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many big wins did ben roethlisberger have in college? how about chad pennington or steve mcnair or phil rivers or trent green or marc bulger or jake delhomme or eli manning or jay cutler or jp losman or byron leftwich or jon kitna???? i don't think it's a prerequisite that you won games in college, played the best competition, or came up huge in big games.

if you were using that logic, then jason white, danny wuerrfel, chris weinke, and eric crouch should have been tremendous pro QBs. the fact is, aside from szarmardjia and quinn, ND has a very average team.

also remember that quinn has essentially had NFL-caliber coaching the last two years and he is already very familiar with an NFL-style offense, which is more than can be said about alex smith coming out of college.

i think quinn's performance against michigan shouldn't be held against him. his first pick was a flagrant drop by his TE, and ND rushed for a whopping 4 yards. i doubt jamarcus would have been successful in a situation where they are immediately put in a deficit and have a completely one-dimensional offense.
LSUSAINT

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:

When was the last time the Raiders needed a QB and a player like Russell was available?
Sparty On

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion oakland has to take a quarterback probaly russell, becuase walter and brooks are both horrible, and i dont think that they could pass up this guy
Bucky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drafting QB's is not how Oakland does things, they plug in veterans...You have to remember, it's Al Davis.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oakland will take Russell 'cause Moss loves the deep ball. He might work well after a year or two, but his decision making will be overlooked because when you think bad decision making at QB, you think Oakland Raiders.

For the Lions, I don't think Nimbleness & Arm Strength is what we need. The QB w/the best decision making, I don't care where he is projected, will be the best rookie for us.

Straight from the man who called it^click

R.I.P. Josh Hancock 1978-2007.
=
qball8001

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSUSAINT wrote:
qball8001 wrote:

When was the last time the Raiders needed a QB and a player like Russell was available?

Are you saying Russel is better than Matt Leinart, and Jay Cutler... Rolling Eyes
LSUSAINT

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
Are you saying Russel is better than Matt Leinart, and Jay Cutler... Rolling Eyes

I said a player like Russell. Are either of those two QBs 6'6" with a huge arm?
diezjabronie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, you're missing the entire point.

If Russell gains 25-30 pounds he could be as dominant as Jared Gaither on the O-Line.

And Gaither is being compared as the next Jon Odgen.

[/sarcasm]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diezjabronie wrote:
Guys, you're missing the entire point.

If Russell gains 25-30 pounds he could be as dominant as Jared Gaither on the O-Line.

And Gaither is being compared as the next Jon Odgen.

[/sarcasm]

or he will look like jared lorenzen the qb from the giants

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: