Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Williams now #1 on Mel's big board
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lacydog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braylon isn't as physical and has a reputation IN COLLEGE for dropping passes.
Maybe I'm biased because I'm a buckeye fan, but I think Braylon will be a bust. He's the next Peter Warrick, IMO, and I think he will be just another bust as a Michigan reciever.
GoLions17

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for once he actually seems right

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you RD.
Mike Williams, while he did not run a "good 40" and did not play last year, is the best prospect in the draft, slightly over Alex Smith.
First off, let me adress, the 40 times. In this day and age, speed is direly ovverated. If you look at the best receivers in the league, most of them cant run a 4.3, and they dont need to. Donte Stallworth is the perfect example of what a 40 time can do. Sure, once he gets the ball you better have someone waiting in the end zone, but he cant get open. Mike Williams, has proven in limited playing he can indeed do that, and with a considerable ammount of speed. Footspeed doesnt matter much anyway, gamespeed is the most important thing
Now, even though he did not play last year, and he might be a rusty......ALL THE PLAYERS IN THE NFL ARE SOMEWHAT RUSTY AT THIS POINT! Thats why we have training camp, to get the extra weight off and to get them back in rythm for the first game, and add in the preason, which I can assure you he would be playing alot in, since we want to see what he can do after not playing, he would be fine, and better than he was in college, theese are NFL trainers, they get the job done. And its not like he will come in weighing 300 something pounds, he has already shown his commitment to getting to the next level by showing up in better shape than he ever was at the combine. So dont doubt Williams until he gives you reason to in his play, which Edwards had.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you people want to classify Mike Williams as Keyshawn Johnson than you have to classify braylon edwards as david terrell.....I should know Im a bears fan that David Terrell and Braylon are the same person coming out of college....an attitude and suspect hands.....but can't miss prospects...well guess what we missed!!!! There is much more to look at than straight line speed......b/c how many times does a guy run in a straight line for an entire play.....none! Even go routes have a slight fade to them.
ShakeNbake2128

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
Clearly.

I mean, Mike's only bigger, stronger, runs better routes, has better hands, and is every bit the athlete Braylon is. But because Braylon is a bit faster, he must be better.

You're clearly in love with USC and Mike Williams. Stop being such a fan and face the facts Braylon is faster quicker and a way better athlete than Williams. All Williams ever did was let a dominate Offensive line, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart and Norm Chow win games he went along for the ride and out miscled smaller college corners. This won't happen in the NFL where every corner is stronger than anyone he's play in college, referring to the weak A** comp the pac 10 offers.

Charger-man thanks for the sweet sig and Scar for the avatar.
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously Braylon is better than Mike Williams... San Fran wants nothing to do with him... I am a huge OSU fan but I still think Braylon Edwards is better.. He played against good teams and still made great plays.... he also played for for years....

Mike Williams on the other hand, plays in the Pac-10 and plays against no good teams... They have their own OSU... Oregon State... yeah, they are real good.. Braylon is better.. no question...

Plus... Kiper is a freaking moron...

This is called TRUTH!

Rest In Peace David, Renee and Joe (Crakburn)
nor*cal09

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the simple fact that Mike Williams did not gain too much weight or lose any speed is an indication of how high his work ethic is. How many other people are going to take a year of football off and still maintain form and is still a top 10 pick.
RD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownsfan868031 wrote:
RD wrote:
Clearly.

I mean, Mike's only bigger, stronger, runs better routes, has better hands, and is every bit the athlete Braylon is. But because Braylon is a bit faster, he must be better.

You're clearly in love with USC and Mike Williams. Stop being such a fan and face the facts Braylon is faster quicker and a way better athlete than Williams. All Williams ever did was let a dominate Offensive line, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart and Norm Chow win games he went along for the ride and out miscled smaller college corners. This won't happen in the NFL where every corner is stronger than anyone he's play in college, referring to the weak A** comp the pac 10 offers.

LoL, yeah it was everyone around Mike that was good, not him.

The Pac 10 is so weak that they've had the most cornerbacks selected ovre the past 3 years than any other conference.

And you pretty much just said what I said, Mike has everything on Braylon aside from footspeed. Braylon is not a better athlete. Braylon makes great catches, so does Mike. Mike left people raving about his athleticism after his individual workouts. So did Braylon. There is no way to differentiate the amount of athleticism between the two. Both are great. Neither is a Michael Vick type athlete, but both are very good.

Check out any scoujting report you want. Check out the areas I note. Everyone will say that Mike is bigger, stronger, a great athlete, and has awesome hands. But Braylon will be faster. It's not USC bias, it's a well known around to anyone who watches football.
b_54_urlacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing you have to look at is the stats that Mike Williams put up as a TRUE FRESHMAN and Sophomore!!!
The only years where their stats are comparable is Mike Williams' soph. season and Braylon's senior season....
Mike had 95 rec. for 1,314 yards 13.8 YPC and 16 td's
Braylon 97 rec. for 1,330 yards 13.7 YPC and 15 Td's

The thing you have to look at is Mike did this two years before Braylon put up big numbers!

I'm a bears fan and there is no way I am taking another Michigan receiver with questionable hands!
andrewside

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that its difficult to compare Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams because Edwards is a speed reciever while Williams is a possien reciever. The amount of success each will have dependents on the system they are in. But I think that Willimas is the slighty better prospect.
ctown fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewside wrote:
I think that its difficult to compare Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams because Edwards is a speed reciever while Williams is a possien reciever. The amount of success each will have dependents on the system they are in. But I think that Willimas is the slighty better prospect.
Selling Williams as a possesion receiver is selling him way to short, his 40 time was not elephant speed, when you compare Moss and TO do you consider TO a possesion receiver? of course not. MW is the all round better package, but Edwards is certainly going to be better than D. Terrell and Williams is going to be better than Keyshawn. Both these guys are going to be good receivers if not great. with all that being said i'll go with Kiper on this one, MW slightly ahead of Edwards
"happiness is knowing in early February that you'll be drafting #32 in late April"
russellt1229

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...this argument is getting pretty annoying.

It's hard, maybe even impossible to judge or compare these two recievers. They are not in the same mold, i.e. Edwards is more of a home run threat, and Williams is more of a posession reciever. Now I'm not saying Williams can't stretch the field, or that Edwards can't control the game, but they each have their own preferences.

The stats are uncomparable. Williams' sophomore season, he had Carson Palmer throwing him the ball. Edwards senior season, he had a true freshman, Chad Henne, throwing him the ball. Before Henne, Braylon was catching passes from John Navarre. Lets compare: Palmer=first overall pick. Navaree=7th round selection.

Who is better? It's all speculation. Braylon makes the tough catch, makes the easy catches look tougher, and IN THE PAST, has dropped the occasional ball. Williams doesn't have blazing speed, hasn't played in a year, but has the size to dominate any secondary player. It's all about favoritism. Who would I take? I can't say without being called a homer.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has mentioned the fact that Braylon requires (or has recently had) surgery to repair a severely jacked-up pinky. I read it was sticking out sideways at one point.

I would take Williams just because of that. A reciever's bread and butter is his hands. We all know Braylon has questionable hands, but Williams catches damn near everything.

Ronnie Lott could play without the use of his pinky, but can a receiver?

#FreeJoshGordon
BwickBrownie wrote:
looks like Ditch's infinite wisdom is correct again.
b_54_urlacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall right....Mike Williams had Carson Palmer for one year and Matt Lienart for one year??? But one could also make the arguement that he made both of them how good they are, as well. I am not saying Braylon isn't a good WR....But look at the track record of Michigan Wr's that are high draft picks....Desmond Howard, David Terrell, and Braylon Edwards.....for those who don't look at that are missing out because Penn St rb's all bust......Florida St. DE's.....Florida Qb's and WR's......it is a track record that must take SOME, not all notice.
primetime21335

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
primetime21335 wrote:

how do u know he wouldnt have busted this year? odds are he would have murdered w/ leinart, that run game, and the lack of good recievers around him (at least early in the season), but wat if he started droppin balls and gaining weight.

Sorry, but thats a huge reach. He dominates as a freshman and sophomore, and with more talent, all of a sudden he's going to start dropping balls? Sure, you can't say it could never happen, but I guess the world could end as soon as I post this too, but it's very unlikely.

Quote:
lol, it wouldnt happen but it might, u cant say it is totally out of the realm of possibilty. hell he did gamble last year when he left early and when he was rumored to be slightly out of shape b4 the draft so its not like he is the allamerican, larry fitz, type guy.

Rumor? What does a rumor have to do with anything, especially when that rumor was proven false? Mike at his workout last year weighed 228lbs, and proved that he was not out of shape. There were absolutely no weight concerns and the rumors proved to be without any bit of truth whatsoever.

As for his maturity - I dont see how anyone can question his maturity. He declared early, but so wold everyone one of us if a 10mill signing bonus wsa right in front of us. After that, he showed as much maturity as you can possibly show. When the courts ruled that he could not go to the NFL, the NCAA Told him to go back to school and pass two classes, with a B or higher. Mike did. The NCAA crapped on him and still denied him eligibility. Instead of keeping the fight going like Clarett did, Mike said he would respect the decision and work for next years draft. In the meantime, Mike was teaching the young USC receivers how to use their hands to beat the jam at the line of scrimmage during practice. Then Mike moves on and works solely on preparing for the NFL Draft. There are no maturity or 'bad guy' issues with Mike Williams.

yo, i'm not questioning his maturity, i obviously expressed taht i was impressed w/ the way he handled things.

there were questions about his weight, and just b/c he answered those questions at his proday doesnt mean that teams arent still conscerned w/ taht.

i never said there were bad guy issues.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: